Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 850xp. the clutch was sticking so I pulled it out and everything is stuck. arms are stuck,rollers not rolling,ect. I pulled the top off the drive clutch and I can't remove the spider assembly. is this pressed on or should it slide. don't want to break it. thanks

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
On the drive clutch when you take the 6 bolt out you have to unscrew the three-legged Arms Then everything slides off It is a pain to unscrew it takes a special tool to not damage it What exactly was happening That made you think you had clutch problem

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
As mentioned, there is a spider tool made for removing it. What is making it "stick", pieces of belt, belt dust, mud?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The spider does not slide. It is screwed on and torqued to 235 ft/lbs. The outer sheave is what slides in and out. Should move freely. Weights should pivot freely and the rollers they push against should spin freely and not have any flat spots. If it needs a rebuild I do dozens of them every year. Typically run between $250-300 to do plus shipping. Rebuild kits run between $160-210 plus some labor to do them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replys, wife took it through a mud bog in august and it got full of mud, I had back issues and had back surgery in sept. finally getting back to working on things. clutch was full of mud, weights and rollers are stuck. I will look at the spider tool and make something up. thanks for the help. spider right or left hand?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The spider does not slide. It is screwed on and torqued to 235 ft/lbs. The outer sheave is what slides in and out. Should move freely. Weights should pivot freely and the rollers they push against should spin freely and not have any flat spots. If it needs a rebuild I do dozens of them every year. Typically run between $250-300 to do plus shipping. Rebuild kits run between $160-210 plus some labor to do them.
Might look into a clutch kit from you if I can get this working without to much cost. thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
thanks for the replys, wife took it through a mud bog in august and it got full of mud, I had back issues and had back surgery in sept. finally getting back to working on things. clutch was full of mud, weights and rollers are stuck. I will look at the spider tool and make something up. thanks for the help. spider right or left hand?
Glad to hear you are feeling better! I think it's right hand thread.

EDIT: My 500 is normal right hand thread, haven't worked on an XP clutch. Go with what ridinagain says....

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What are the symptoms that you are experiencing Does the bike want to continue moving forward when you come to a stop is it hard to shift gears. If this is the case then you're one way bearing is probably got muddy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
clutch stayed engaged and could not shift while its running. everything is stuck. will make the spanner wrench tomorrow so I can get it apart.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Remember to mark all three pieces as you're taking apart because it is a balanced piece if I remember right I think they all three have a X stamped on them but I would still take a permanent marker and mark them

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The tool to spin off the spider isn't that hard to make. It's the holding fixture that is important to have to hold the clutch down so you can break the spider free. As said, mark the pieces so you know which way to orient them Only the spider and cover have and X on them. Mark the edge of each sheave so you make sure to get it torqued back down properly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made the tool today, nothing fancy other than sacrificing a matco socket, bolted some blocks to my mill to hold the clutch and it came right off.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I think it was easy because of that graphing calculator ;) lol

Nice work!!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL,I hate that calculator. not smart enough to use it. was easy because I have everything to fab things up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts