Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
So after having problems with my primary clutch rattling a removed it and brought it in to my local shop and they said that the weights needed to be replaced so they went ahead and replaced the weights i installed the clutch today and started it up and it was still rattling when engaging, so i checked the weights and on one weights the bolt holding it in seemed to be loose being able to slide it back and a small amount so i checked the other 2 and you could move one a little bit and the other was tight! Are they spouse to be this way or are they all spouse to be tight ? If so what should they be torqued at? Thanks a lot in advance guys your always helpful!!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The bolts should slide freely about 1/8" and have a shoulder to stop the locking nut. I think they are torqued to about 15 in lbs. It's not much. And they don't rattle. If anything they seize up. If it's rattling you've got budding issues or something else broken or worn out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Ridinagain what else could the poroblem be do you think ?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Could be worn buttons, rollers, bushings, etc. Impossible to tell you without having it in front of me and torn down. I can tell you a complete rebuild will run you around $300 if needed.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Most likely it is missing the little shims on either side of the weights. There are two thin plates that go in so the weight doesn't wobble side to side. I am in the process of doing mine on my '08 500HO.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can push the weight side to side a bit with my finger !

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Most likely it is missing the little shims on either side of the weights. There are two thin plates that go in so the weight doesn't wobble side to side. I am in the process of doing mine on my '08 500HO.
I've never seen them on anything Polaris other than a comet clutch on a sled. I have however added them on clutches that are worn in from bad weight bushings and worn pins to buy some time on replacing a clutch. There is a little side to side play in the weights normally as well.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I just put new weights on my 500X2 a couple of months ago and mine didn't have them either. If you changed the weights you should have changed the bolt and nut that goes through them. I did both and glad I did because if you put my new weights on the old bolt it had tons of slop in it and just wobbled on the bolt. I put it all back together and it was as quiet as new but with old weights and bolts it rattled pretty bad.

Ronnie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so i manged to adjust one of the weights and its good now! But when im driving when i take my thumb off the throttle the bike kind of jults when slowing down anyone know what this problem could be ?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There's really nothing to adjust on the weights. They just bolt in and sit there. If they are off center on the rollers or something like that then you need to replace the buttons in the towers to center it again. What did you adjust? The jolt you are referring to could be the clutch backshifting or belt issues or the secondary binding up, worn buttons in the secondary, lots of things.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the bolts weren't tightened up it was just barely on the threads I brought it to my local shop and they said everything looked fine in it. So i put it all back together today and took it for a little run and it i started to hear a knock like the belt slapping off the casing around it ? I would bring it to the dealership but the closest appointment i can get is 2 weeks away so im going to try and fix it before then. Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I removed it and checked behind it but i never took it apart what would i be looking for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take it apart and check the buttons inside and the condition of the bushings and helix ramps.
I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that just take it apart and check the buttons inside and the condition of the bushings and helix ramps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a video of it running it is hard to see the wobble but the noise is not right

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Primary looks fine. Secondary looks like it's wobbling and not backshifting right. The noise is hard to tell in the video, but sounds like a rod knock to me. Could be trans noise too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What could be wrong with the secondary to make it do that? Its the belt making that noise hitting off the side of the secondary clutch when its wobbling.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you need any special tools to take apart the secondary? Or to change the bushings ? Also how do you know of theres a problem with the helix or the buttons?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts