Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little input.
I have an 04 Sportsman 500 HO, I was trail riding and came to a washout, I went into it slowly and the front tires both hit the washout, I gave it some gas but it just spun (a few revolutions, I didnt just sit and spin) the tires so I backed up and hit it at an angle and walked right through it.
After this happened the clutch wont disengage, goes fine down the trail but when I brake to a stop it kills the engine. If I start it in gear giving it a little gas it will go fine until the tires stop turning and it dies again.
I assume this is related to the clutch, before I tear it apart I was hoping I could get some input on what to look for.
Thanks in advance... Roll on..

·
Premium Member
7,497 Posts
Pull the clutch cover to see if the belt is actually staying engaged.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Got to get the clutch cover off - check the clutch movement - it may simply need cleaned and lubed - it might need some new parts to operate properly

·
8,955 Posts
I just had the same machine in a few weeks ago with the same problem. You'll probably need to be looking for a new or good used clutch. I'd be safe in guessing that everything in yours is worn out if its never been serviced up to now.
Brass washer #2 is probably completely gone and the one-way #1 has worn down the spacer #3 so that the sheaves overtraveled too far inward when you spun it briefly. This caused one or more of the fly weights #16 who's rollers, bushings and bolts #'s 13, 14 & 15 are also worn out and flopping around to let one of the weights get off the roller and stuck on the shaft holding the clutch closed tight on the belt. You'd likely also find upon taking it apart that the moveable sheave will have hairline cracks around its base. Even if you could rebuild it, the parts would cost more than a good used or after market new clutch. You'd also have to buy or build the special tools to do it with or pay someone that already has the tools to do it.
Bottom line... you need a clutch or clutches and belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got to get the clutch cover off - check the clutch movement - it may simply need cleaned and lubed - it might need some new parts to operate properly
Hi dont want to steal this but what do you lub in the clutch?
I thought every component was supposed to be dry, so no rubber dust attaches to it. Should the weights be lubed, and if they do what is supposed to be lubed with?
Thanking you in avance.

·
Premium Member
7,497 Posts
Hi dont want to steal this but what do you lub in the clutch?
I thought every component was supposed to be dry, so no rubber dust attaches to it. Should the weights be lubed, and if they do what is supposed to be lubed with?
Thanking you in avance.
There are two "camps" on this topic. To lube or not to lube!!! If it is to lube then there is a dry type lubricant used as to not attract clutch "dust". I am in the no lube camp. Keep the clutches clean and they'll perform flawlessly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts