Polaris ATV Forum banner

clutching and gear reduction

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Switzomatic 
#1 ·
So, over the years i have modified my 2010 850 xp. I really like my atv, but it feels like something is missing. My current setup is a 3" HL lift, 29.5" OL2s. I put the team industries 14% gear reduction in a while ago and I have QSC clutch kit installed with both "washers" under the drive clutch spring. While reading other ppls posts, it always appears you get a snappier feel when a qsc clutch is installed. Mine does not feel snappy at all. It is super smooth on engagement. But it just doesn't seem like there is any power. I had in the past before the lift kit an EPI clutch. With that kit, i noticed my engagement rpms were higher and when it kicked in, you felt it. I have a 2011 850 i ride that is stock. I rebuilt the motor, trans, front and rear diffs as well as the drive clutch/one way bearing. The stock 2011 just feels like it has so much more low end torque than my current setup. I'm not sure if I did something wrong with putting the small gear reduction in and the qsc clutch. I understand with adding larger tires, you loose power and you try to gain that back via clutching / gear reduction. With the 14% gear reduction installed, should I be using the factory clutching? Should I rethink my gear reduction and do the ranger gear reduction that gives you approx. 30% w/ stock clutching or do I need a clutch kit? Any input would be greatly appreciated..

#5 ·
I apologize for the late response and I did as suggested. I contacted Ryan at RVS Performance and I have to say he was great to deal with and really helped me out. I ended up trying a lot of different arrangements, from stock setup for drive and driven clutch springs to a replacement qsc drive clutch spring and stock driven clutch spring arrangement. I ended up changing out my drive clutch spring for a qsc silver w/ green stripe. I swapped out my qsc helix to go back to the stock helix and kept the original driven clutch spring that came with the qsc kit. I used both shims underneath the driven clutch spring. Now I have belt engagement around 2000-2200 Rpms, which is where I like it. It feels a lot more snappier off the start. By using my stock helix it has better or more aggressive engine braking, which I like. The qsc helix reduced the affect of engine braking. If I ever decide to go larger than 29.5" tires, I will need to put the qsc helix back in. I only have one ride on it with the new arrangement. If anything changes I will make sure I keep everyone updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.