Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the vehicle: 06 sportsman 500 EFI HO with Polaris/warn winch new Advanceauto AGM battery (which is smaller then the stock battery, so I had to shim it using wood)
Now the situation: I'm using it to plow snow. When I first start plowing, the winch just clicks until I rev the engine, then it works. It'll do that for a few minutes until everything is warm, then there are no problems. Is the winch just cold-blooded? It is parked in an unheated (but above freezing) garage.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
There is grease in the winch which can get thick with colder temps. It is also likely that your battery is recharging from starting the quad. If you are going to plow, keep your quad on a battery tender when not in use. Makes a huge difference

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
There is grease in the winch which can get thick with colder temps. It is also likely that your battery is recharging from starting the quad. If you are going to plow, keep your quad on a battery tender when not in use. Makes a huge difference
What he said!

I always keep my battery on a tender over the winter months when not in use. Keep battery charged, so it's ready for the added strain of the winch when plowing.

If you are mechanical.... it may not be a bad idea to pull your winch off, bring it inside and pull it apart, clean up all internals, regrease mechanical parts and clean up all the contacts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I must admit when I read the thread title my thoughts went completely off atvs. And and right to my x wife. :roflmao

if im on this fourm i must be at work. if not id be having way more fun out doors

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it looks like I need a battery tender for an AGM battery. My Land Cruiser is parked for the winter, so I can use it there, too.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thought you were talking about my wife, then I looked again said winch, not wench! :biglaugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts