Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the cold weather hit I've had trouble starting my 850xp. Turn the key to on, wait a second and then start it. Turns over a few times and then dies, I have to feather the throttle lightly til its running then it idles fine. When I turn it off out on the trails it fires right back up with no problem. I keep it in my garage, it isn't a heated garage but the furnace is in there so its much warmer than outside. Any idea what the problem could be?

The bikes not even at 300 miles yet

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Unfortunately by just starting and idling the motor for short periods of time causes the 850 to carbon foul the plugs because they run so rich on start up. I replaced mine with hotter plugs (NGK iridium's) and am careful not to start it and run it for 10 seconds and have not had any issues since.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Adjust your throttle cable to increase your idle I tightened mine way up and that went away, it is just in between the throttle and the headlight pod on the handlebar, just takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
When my machine was fairly new I also replaced the plugs with ngk and it seemed to start better with them. Not sure on cold starting though mine is usually in the shop.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does it have an erratic idle? Mine was idling from 11-1800 RPM then dying.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Adjust your throttle cable to increase your idle I tightened mine way up and that went away, it is just in between the throttle and the headlight pod on the handlebar, just takes a few minutes.
Pretty sure your not suppose to adjust idle on an efi machine with the throttle cable. Mess up the computer?? Think I read that somewhere on here or in manual possibly.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well maybe it it's adjusting it back to where it needs to be, the throttle cable does loosen up over time and needs adjusting, plus it fixed mine, soooooo...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well maybe it it's adjusting it back to where it needs to be, the throttle cable does loosen up over time and needs adjusting, plus it fixed mine, soooooo...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk
This is from my 800 book.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
While free play can be adjusted I would not try to make it idle that way. Its like always holding the throttle in. So then the ECM does not know how to properly mix fuel based off of no throttle applied.... is my understandind. Which makes sense to me

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
While free play can be adjusted I would not try to make it idle that way. Its like always holding the throttle in. So then the ECM does not know how to properly mix fuel based off of no throttle applied.... is my understandind. Which makes sense to me

It will also cause issues with activating the throttle safety switch. You will know the cable is too tight by turning the bars to the stops and see if the idle increases. If the cable is adjusted to the specs and you tighten it beyond that to increase the idle, there is a problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had this hard start problem on my 2011 when cold only just as you described. Mine started at about 14 months 2700 kms. I have a extended warranty which my dealer used to replace idle air control valve then the throttle body with no success. I have also replaced plugs to NGK iridium and keep battery on tender with no success. I have done checking on the web and dealer has talked to Polaris and still no success. I have been dealing with this problem for about 17 months and about 4300 kms. I am now at about 7000 kms with no fix. I have also made sure my throttle was adjusted to spec.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have a trickle charge on your quad? If you do not, I would put one on. Even if the garage is warmer than outside. Its still difficult on the battery.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is there an advantage to owning an older machine? it's -14C. Battery was on the charger 5 min. pulled the choke, turned the key and it started right up. After a minute I eased the choke to halfway then not quite all the way in. It settled down to a nice idle. I turned it off as it's too damned cold to ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had this hard start problem on my 2011 when cold only just as you described. Mine started at about 14 months 2700 kms. I have a extended warranty which my dealer used to replace idle air control valve then the throttle body with no success. I have also replaced plugs to NGK iridium and keep battery on tender with no success. I have done checking on the web and dealer has talked to Polaris and still no success. I have been dealing with this problem for about 17 months and about 4300 kms. I am now at about 7000 kms with no fix. I have also made sure my throttle was adjusted to spec.
"PROBLEM FIXED" Yesterday I decided to check my valves adjustments, my thought process to this was thinking if it starts and idles fine after warm good possibility intake valves could have tightened up. This is exactly what I found, all 4 intakes were tighter than a nun. All four exhaust were perfect. So adjusted all intakes and put it all back together. Just touched the key and she fired up and idled at 1200 and no surging. I was also having from day one a stumble at initial throttle so would have to burp throttle, no longer have do this anymore. Hope this helps all with problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What Is valve clearance suppose to be?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
0.00 tighten up with no play but still able to rotate roller on end of valve with your fingers, after adjusting check again if not able to move roller readjust so that roller moves with jamnut tight.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Update. Went for 97 km ride yesterday started and ran flawless all day. So I would suggest if you have problems starting your machine when motor is cold not just cold outside or you machine stumbles of idle on acceleration check your intake valve adjustment. Mine was bad on both and no problems now.:veryhappy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts