Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Have a 2012 Sportsman 500 that seems to have issues with braking in cold weather...

Skidding some logs in -10 weather today, hit the brakes and nada.. plenty of pressure but no stopping. Eventually got them to connect when I was going slow enough, but at anything more than a crawl she would just keep creeping on.

Managed to find a couple of water/mud holes while doing this, so the wheels had a fair amount of ice on them. I'm an admitted mechanical know nothing, so I don't know if cold weather would affect the hydraulic pressure in the brake lines or not.

The only other use it gets during the winter is plowing which is done in low range, so not a lot of braking is used, so I don't know if this is a new issue, or has been going on all winter. I can say that after I let it soak up some sun, the brakes "seemed" to work better.

Anyone else experience anything along these lines?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm sure they were just iced up. Get a little heat in em and they should work fine

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sounds like ice under the pads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was hoping.. plan to take her down the road with some light brake pressure to see if that thaws em out.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ice on pads.any time go thru any water hit brakes a few times. Even in warm weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts