Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 500 HO has been sitting for about 3 weeks in my unheated garage. Temps have been pretty cold here with several nights down in the teens and a couple night in the single digits. Today was mild around 40 degrees.

Anyway, decided to go for a little ride and noticed that 3 of my tires looked very low and the 4th tire was really low. This is the first time in 10 months of owning the quad that I've had low tire pressure. I didn't even have a low pressure tire gauge to see how much pressure remained. I put some air in them and just guessed on the pressure. I cruised around the neighborhood and did not notice any difference but didn't want to ride long until I got a proper tire gauge.

The last time I rode I was in some questionable locations where there may have been some broken glass. I guess what I'm wondering is if it is normal for tire pressure to drop significantly during very cold temps or is it likely that I have leaks in all tires from punctures from glass?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yes your tire pressure will drop in cold weather. I keep mine normally at 7LBS they drop to about 5LBS when cold. Air is a gas when you heat gas it expands, well most gas anyway.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had 5 psi on my 850, yesterday i checked them and they were 2.5 psi. During the cold the tire pressure will drop its also the same thing with my cars. Just make sure to let some air out in summer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Do you you guys typically re-inflate to 7-8 lbs? Do you have any problems with over pressurization from riding a lot when heat gets back into the tires in the cold weather?

·
Registered
169 Posts
A general rule of thumb is that for every 10 degree drop in temperature, the tire pressure will drop by one psi.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I didn't even have a low pressure tire gauge to see how much pressure remained. I put some air in them and just guessed on the pressure.
no gauge in your tool kit?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't even have a low pressure tire gauge to see how much pressure remained. I put some air in them and just guessed on the pressure.
no gauge in your tool kit?
! Lol now that you mentioned it I think I do remember that tool kit having a gauge. I was planning to head to AutoZone today to buy one but Ill check the toolkit first. Thanks for mentioning it!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have one of these and it works better than anything I ever bought at autozone:
Craftsman Programmable Digital Tire Gauge: Perfect Pressure at Sears
That looks like a really nice gauge. Maybe ill look into something like that. I was hoping I could fine a trigger style inflator with a built in gauge but every one of them that I saw measured from 10-220lbs in 2lb increments. Was hoping I could find one that showed more accuracy at low pressures.

Edit: actually I did find what I was looking for but it cost $79. Not willing to drop that kinda cash for a tire gauge.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-50408/overview/

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I have one of these and it works better than anything I ever bought at autozone:
Craftsman Programmable Digital Tire Gauge: Perfect Pressure at Sears
That looks like a really nice gauge. Maybe ill look into something like that. I was hoping I could fine a trigger style inflator with a built in gauge but every one of them that I saw measured from 10-220lbs in 2lb increments. Was hoping I could find one that showed more accuracy at low pressures.
If you ever find one, please let me know. I haven't been able to find one either :(

They have the digital ones at some gas stations around here that you can set to your desired psi and it will inflate/deflate to get it there so I assume they must exist for the consumer.

And yes, that gauge works well throughout the range of PSIs. It even has a bleeder so if you overinflate you can just pull the trigger. I got mine from Santa in my stocking last year and it has held up well.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have a analog round gauge.......seems accurate, reads to 1/4 psi. No batteries to screw with either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try the topeak smart gauge. Accurate and reads down to 2psi.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When i re-inflated my tires couple if days ago, i put 7 psi, so that i could slide in the snow better

In summer i do run about 5 psi for normal trail riding

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a analog round gauge.......seems accurate, reads to 1/4 psi. No batteries to screw with either.
Most of the ROUND gauges use a Bourdon tube mechanism - they're subject to damage from vibration, but I've had one for many years without failure. And they're made in many pressure ranges. Get different ones for your car tires (0-60psi), E-rated truck tires (0-120psi), and a "light" one for ATV tires (0-20psi).

Here's one available from Amazon - $8 and eligible for free shipping -

Slime 20096 Low Pressure Dial Tire Gauge 1-20 PSI : Amazon.com : Automotive

Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the Slime low pressure gauge too. It works great. I agree I don't want batteries to worry about.

I just leave it in the front box and check the psi when the temps drop. It's 22f here now and the tires dropped form 5 to 4 psi. It's supposed to be 6f Friday. I'll just check them again then. I just get out the 12v compressor and the tires filled in a few seconds per tire.

Check the pressure after it warms up above freezing too. That's just the same as with car tires only lower pressure.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Tire pressure will fluctuate with elevation changes as well. I've seen my pressure increase 1 1/2 lbs from my house, at 5,600' to the trailhead, typically around 8,500'. When you get up another few thousand feet or more while riding, pressures will increase some more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts