Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard stories/rumors that Polaris ATVs have an issue starting in extreme cold conditions. Mainly when sitting out on a lake all day ice fishing.

Anyone have any experience with such a thing?

Other than a bad battery is there anything else that could cause this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have not had a cold start problem Yet..down to -18 it fires up ..even after sitting a few days...i seen on a few ice fishing forums guys got a solar charger to hook up when its sitting on the ice...said they work...if you using to chase flags all day it may not be good since you have to disconnect all the time to chase a flag....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have plowed all winter for hours at a time and my ATV sits out overnight under a cover and it starts immeidatly even down to -15F. Fuel Injection definately has an advantage over carburators at start up as you don't have to fiddle with the choke. Running a very low weight oil such as 0W40 also makes a huge difference as the starter doesn't have to turn a engine full of Honey..

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Kemblkr....mine is a 02 carb model....with 5w-40 in it...i keep it on a maintainer also....but starts right up..so far..lol...its been good to me...knock on wood....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Kemblkr....mine is a 02 carb model....with 5w-40 in it...i keep it on a maintainer also....but starts right up..so far..lol...its been good to me...knock on wood....
Good deal al53...tried to start my Honda 1300 VTX last week and it was a no go but the battery wasn't up to full charge. I just hate that fricken few minutes of working that choke but once its warmed up it is just as good as EFI, mostly....lol...I have to choke the VTX even in the summer...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2012 850XP starts hard in the cold, even with EFI. Was just in the North Country of NH with temps below zero over night and my machine was hard to start. Thought the battery was dead, however after trying the key several times it began to turn over then eventually started. My wife's 2014 570 with EFI started no problem.

Also sometimes get error messages when riding in the cold, which after researching them is related to cold weather riding. Not sure the cause, but sure is a pain. Ride safe and best of luck from NH.

·
Registered
460 Posts
]
Good deal al53...tried to start my Honda 1300 VTX last week and it was a no go but the battery wasn't up to full charge. I just hate that fricken few minutes of working that choke but once its warmed up it is just as good as EFI, mostly....lol...I have to choke the VTX even in the summer...
Nice vtx...I had an '05 model R...I had to choke mine in the summer as well. They're just cold natured. Great bikes though!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
]
Nice vtx...I had an '05 model R...I had to choke mine in the summer as well. They're just cold natured. Great bikes though!
Thanks....mine is an 05 R as well. The previous owner had some tasteful ghost flames applied to the tank...it only had 1500 miles on her when I bought it last year.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My 2012 850XP starts hard in the cold, even with EFI. Was just in the North Country of NH with temps below zero over night and my machine was hard to start. Thought the battery was dead, however after trying the key several times it began to turn over then eventually started. My wife's 2014 570 with EFI started no problem.

It takes a fair bit more oomph to turn over the 850's than the 570 or any of the single cylinders. A bigger battery solved almost all my issues.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Last winter anything below zero and I needed a jump. I switched to an Oddessy pc925L this year and all is well. Down to -30 it has started. the 550s in my group were fine with the polaris battery.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The Oddessy is like haveing a generator station on your ATV...power to spare.....when this Decka goes thats my choice....the cost shows the quality....#1 powersport battery

·
Registered
270 Posts
It warmed up to -20 Celsius today so I thought I best start the 850XP & go for a short ride. The quad wouldn't even turn over, you could here the starter click then that was it lol!! I put the charger on the battery thinking it might have been low on charge, noooope, green charge light came on right away. I put a small heater on the footwell facing the motor & left it there for about an hour. Started right up after it was warm, lol!!!
I sure wish these new quads had the o'l pull start back up. At least that way you can slowly pull it over a few times to loosen things up!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Although I agree it might be nice, a 4 stroke 850 would yank your arm off with kickback.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Although I agree it might be nice, a 4 stroke 850 would yank your arm off with kickback.
Being this cold I wouldn't use it to start, just to roll it over to loosen e'r up,lol!!! Then again, why couldn't they put a pull start with a decompression switch....ooooh ho ho, :veryhappy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts