Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How cold is too cold to start my 800 in the winter. Quad is inside unheated garage right now. Need to start it and pull my sea doo out of the garage as my contractor will be here in a few days to insulate and finish the inside. Temps overnight have been wicked cold. Down to -25c and during the day the highs have been -15 and -10. Should l just not start it and push and pull stuff out by hand or will I be OK starting this unit?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are in the garage right now. I need to get everything out of the garage so my contractor can come and insulate and put the wallboard on. The sea doo has been winterized so the freezing weather will not hurt it. I am just worried about starting the quad in such cold weather as it is probably not very good for it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Polaris was born in MN winters in the snow so I think you will be fine starting it. It is true to start it and run it for two minutes may leave water in the exhaust system. When I start engines in cold temps I prefer to run them until the exhaust stops blowing water and is really hot. In this case I would do what felt best in your mind.

What Ridinagain posted while I was typing is what I was trying to say. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's no different than running your car or truck in the winter. As stated above get it up to operating temp before shutting it down.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Dude...-25C?.....move....heh.

I think your weak link will be your battery. I knew a guy in NE that used to bring his car battery in every night. Point being, if your battery is weak at all, it won't have the power to start the quad if it is -25C.

Sean

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Do you have the battery on a tender? If not you should get one. A little SeaFoam or Sta-Bil in the gas if not using it much will help keep the gas good. As others have said,let it warm up good you should be fine.

·
Registered
978 Posts
its been -4 to -15 degrees fahrenheit here for over a week now and ive plowed 3 times, moved a trailer and have seen no problem. i think your fine lol starts right up in my non heated garage

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I've had to fire mine up in about the same conditions (-20°F) the last couple times I've needed to plow snow. As others have stated.... start it up and let it idle for a good 10-15 minutes or until it kicks out of high idle or until the fan kicks on once. I feel this is a good rule of thumb. In my book this is my indicator the machine says it's warmed up and ready. I still take the first couple passes lightly to warm up the rest of the fluids that haven't been moving yet (trans / diffs / belt / wheel bearings / ect.).

·
Registered
246 Posts
How cold is too cold to start my 800 in the winter. Quad is inside unheated garage right now. Need to start it and pull my sea doo out of the garage as my contractor will be here in a few days to insulate and finish the inside. Temps overnight have been wicked cold. Down to -25c and during the day the highs have been -15 and -10. Should l just not start it and push and pull stuff out by hand or will I be OK starting this unit?

-25c Burr! I hope you have your contractor toss in a Mr. heater while he's there. :firedevil: Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters

·
Registered
434 Posts
mine started up to -35 with the popo battery i have yet to test it colder with the new battery but it cranks faster at -35 with my new battery well see if shell go at -40 in the next weak or two probably

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Just use a 0W40 oil and you should be fine. Just let it warm up for a min of 5 minutes and then drive in low for a few minutes to warm up the belt too. If you can't find a 0W don't use anything greater than a 5W those temps or ever...0W's are best for start up in any weather, especially cold!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts