Polaris ATV Forum banner
241 - 260 of 262 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,536 Posts
If I were to project what might happen by next month...Stage one for sure, possibly stage 2. If it’s stage one and we can get spots at the two campsites far north of the reservoir, it’s all good.

It is a bit further out of the way but there are campsitrs at Mirror Lake not too far from the town of Tincup. Maybe that is a possibility but may add some miles to get to the northern trails. No big deal, we’ll have the gas.
We are coming out to RIDE!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,536 Posts
Just 1, the outline that you see on the plexiglass is the clear sticker that Colorado sends along with the permit to attach it.

Reactions: CMOS

·
Registered
488 Posts
What are the dates for the ride now? How many are going? Where are you going to camp? Who is going?

·
Registered
2018 Sportsman 450 HO
86 Posts
What are the dates for the ride now? How many are going? Where are you going to camp? Who is going?
PoPo,

Thus far we have 12 riders going! Can't name them all at this point but they are all regulars here. I am going!

Riding dates are July 26-30. Someone from the group will try to reserve camping sites for all of us that weekend before (24th & 25th). Current plan is for base camp to be in Taylor Park Reservoir.

CMOS

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
PoPo,

Thus far we have 12 riders going! Can't name them all at this point but they are all regulars here. I am going!

Riding dates are July 26-30. Someone from the group will try to reserve camping sites for all of us that weekend before (24th & 25th). Current plan is for base camp to be in Taylor Park Reservoir.

CMOS
You won't find camp sites in a campground. They will be/have been reserved already. However, you will be able to find awesome places to pitch your tents all over the place up there. That's one of the advantages of tenting vs rv'ing.

Reactions: FPD218

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am part of a group of 6 couples that will be in Taylor Park area from July 10th through at least the 16th. We are all taking travel trailers and 4 wheelers. I just bought a 21 850 Touring and it will be it's first outing. I have been trying to get some miles on it to change the oil for the first time before we go. We went to the Hahn's Peak area last year and had a great time.

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
When you guys are just below the summit of Tincup Pass (on the St. Elmo side) think of this picture and imagine what this guys thoughts must have been... :ROFLMAO: It looks a little different in person. I believe I took this in 2016, around the 4th of July.

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Yup, that's the spot. That's the drift that determines when Tincup Pass opens up every year. It's usually the first week of July, although I've seen it drifted over the second week of July before.

Reactions: FPD218

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
It is a nice truck. 4x4 single cab short box.
There is a 4x4 recovery club here in Colorado. They got up there and managed to recover it without it tumbling down the hill. Saw some pictures they posted of it. Three or four Jeeps tagged together winching from the rear and three more Jeeps tagged together tied to the front. These guys know their stuff and have made some amazing recoveries, including UTV's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a reminder for those headed to CO for this trip that Pitkin County (Aspen) has a pretty significant ban on all OHVs (ATV/SxS even with out of state license plates) and they don't want you or your money. Seems there are very few trails that ATVs can legally be on in Pitkin County and none of those connect from Taylor Park. Most ATV trails in Pitkin County are seasonal for hunting only (Oct/Nov). Be informed or chance legal problems/fines.

As Pitkin County plans to up enforcement of its ATV ban, residents and owners have mixed feelings

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Just a reminder for those headed to CO for this trip that Pitkin County (Aspen) has a pretty significant ban on all OHVs (ATV/SxS even with out of state license plates) and they don't want you or your money. Seems there are very few trails that ATVs can legally be on in Pitkin County and none of those connect from Taylor Park. Most ATV trails in Pitkin County are seasonal for hunting only (Oct/Nov). Be informed or chance legal problems.

As Pitkin County plans to up enforcement of its ATV ban, residents and owners have mixed feelings
thanks for the heads up. I don’t think anyone has mentioned Aspen. I know I’m not interested in the place for any reason.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aspen was mentioned in the CO trip pictures thread but thought it best to mention it here.

Anyway, while out in TP, there are PLENTY of trails to ride and keep one occupied :) Have fun all and be safe!

Oh, and BTW, interested when you're all out there if they have opened back up the sections of 50" Timberline trail? When I was out there a few weeks back, there was still lots of dead-fall that is being cleared and it was impassable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aspen was mentioned in the CO trip pictures thread but thought it best to mention it here.

Anyway, while out in TP, there are PLENTY of trails to ride and keep one occupied :) Have fun all and be safe!

Oh, and BTW, interested when you're all out there if they have opened back up the sections of 50" Timberline trail? When I was out there a few weeks back, there was still lots of dead-fall that is being cleared and it was impassable.
I am not sure of Timberline Trail, but we were on 414 where it got steep and into the red part of the trail. There were still copious amounts of fallen trees that were across the path. That part of the trail was very rocky, narrow and steep. From speaking with an employee at the Trading Post, he said that they probably won't get it cleared out this year. It was amazing how many trees were blown over a month or two ago. Just below Mirror Lake above Tincup was 2/3 blown down. Lots of lumber on the ground.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, the 50" section of Timberline trail (414) can be accessed just shy of Mirror Lake via the Garden Basin TH. I went on it for roughly 1 1/2 miles and got to the switchbacks, but thunder was getting close so I had to skedaddle. The prior day I approached from the north to the most northern 50" section of Timberline, accessed via Sanford Creek trail (584). Got as far as I could to where the trail maintenance crew had been working. Gets into a lot of small/medium boulder hopping, turned around where it was impassible. Approached from 765.1B and no maintenance had been done on that section yet. Quite amazing how much blow-down there actually is. Reports that a significant micro-burst occurred last fall which caused all of that.

At least there is still the 50" (short) section near Pie-Plant that is fun to do.

Picture of the blockage from Sanford Creek side.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
You should see Jerry’s new auto chainsaw attachment for his front bumper. No problem.

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ha, this is definitely one of those pictures that doesn't do the damage justice. That picture was taken after already passing probably 100 cut up trees to clear the trail. Only way I can accurately describe it was pure carnage. Jerry would have had multiple days of work ahead of him, this coming from someone who has done a lot of tree work :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Who wants to ride? Doesn’t matter where, Taylor Park, Alpine Loop, Western Slope, Front Range, Central.... I have freedom to go. Who is in mid to late July.
Once all you guys do this ride there had better be pictures posted afterwards or during! All this talk about where you're riding had me envious so share those pictures!

241 - 260 of 262 Posts