Polaris ATV Forum banner

Colorado - South Dakota 2022 Picture Thread

3642 Views 78 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  FPD218
Trip dates July 18 through July 31, 2022

Rectangle Font Signage Advertising Brand

.................................................................................
Triangle Rectangle Amber Font Pattern

Check back after July 19 for updates!
Smile Head Art Font Electric blue
See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 12 of 79 Posts
What kinda temps and elevation you got there FPD?
Whew! Hope it cools down some for you. That'll make those mountains feel good next week though lol.
tell me about the tires on your sportsman!!
I'd suspect he's probably on the trail this morning. I'm sure he'll answer you in a little while.
Yeah, I'd looked at a lot of trail info in anticipation of maybe going up there. But I'm so spoiled on the high elevations of the central Rockies that just wasn't sure I'd care much for that area.
Yeah, I've used GAIA in Colorado. You just download the maps for the area you want beforehand and no cell service is needed. Got a friend that introduced me to OnX last year and I was pretty impressed with it too.
Pretty slick move right there FPD. You're giving me ideas for the cargo trailer. Some conveniences are really cool (pun intended) when you're out "roughing it".
Well.... Looky there what I found in my garage. Took it in on a trade couple months ago and hadn't even considered taking it camping until reading your posts lol.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Flooring Machine
See less See more
Oh, I was also gonna tell you to be careful too. I've got sister in laws and their outlaw friends out there on Harleys right now. They been posting back some of the same pictures on the same days you are lol. Keep and eye out for fast and loud Kentucky women and some pretty nice old Harleys too while you're on the road. (y)
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
FPD knows how its done. We always try to take a variety of game and aquatic critters along with some home raised beef and pork when we go out west. We'll usually have a little elk, venison and maybe some squirrels or rabbits. We also usually have at least one aquatic meal during the trip of fresh crappie, catfish, frog legs or turtle from our farm ponds. And then there's the staples of big slabs of home-grown tenderloin, bacon and a few good ole inch thick Kentucky grown rib eyes.
I guess its obvious that we like to eat when we're out in the woods.
A few years ago, a cousin of mine came back home to visit right before we left. He's lived in the deep south for several years and always brings in a big cooler of crab, lobster, grouper, crayfish, scallops, clams, etc. every time he comes in. Needless to say, that year we put on a huge low country boil in base camp at 10,000 ft. elevation in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. We tried to feed all our neighbors in the surrounding campsites. It was awesome! I don't think those Rocky Mountain coyotes knew what to make of the leftover crawdads, clams and crab claws we weren't able to eat and had to discard lol. 😁
See less See more
Reactions: 3
Its sorta out of my normal area FPD, but you have my number. Call and I'll try to get you out with a reasonable bail lol.
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
There's a good 50" trail down toward the lake on the Lake City side FPD. Lost Trail Creek crosses the Continental Divide and comes out just above Rio Grande Reservoir. The headwaters of the Rio Grande River. Can't remember for sure but I think its trail 821. When you come out down there you can hang a right and its about 20 miles I think back toward Silverton and then loop back up Animas Forks.
Cannibal Plateau is a pretty cool ride too.
Have fun and be safe.
LOL. Those little panhandlers love to see the tourists come FPD.
It appears you've had a pretty good trip. Hope it didn't rain on you too much. I've kept an eye on the weather and it looks like the monsoon season has been heavy out there this year. I'd guess the creek crossing are full. It's been pretty rough around here this week too. We've been ok but many have not been so lucky.
I feel ya FPD. Can't let the little rodents run over you.
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Cartoon Air gun String instrument
See less See more
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
1 - 12 of 79 Posts