Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner had a dealer install a comet clutch on my 04 sportsman 600. The clutch engages around 2500 rpms give or take. I've been doing a little research and I guess they have different springs for the clutches that engages at different rpms? Also the machine engages into Low nice and smooth every time. Sometimes it doesn't engage into High. I was told the clutch springs need to break in? That's why it doesn't engage sometimes. Does that make sense? Thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sounds like you could use a less stiff spring in your primary. I've never heard of a spring break in period where engagement shouldn't occur. Will the spring soften a little over time, sure, but it should still engage in high now while it's still stiff.

Are you running big or heavy aftermarket tires??

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does engage just only when it wants to. When it does engage it works perfect. Has factory tires.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
It does engage just only when it wants to. When it does engage it works perfect. Has factory tires.

That lack of engagement sounds screwy to me. Not sure if comet clutches take any aftermarket springs or if you need a comet spring, but I run an epi gold in my 500 and it engages around 1800. The epi red engaged at around 2100 and the factory Polaris blue w green stripe was around 1600.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's the combination of the spring pressure, weights and their profile that all affect engagement. Many of the comet clutches can use Polaris springs and weights too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was dreaming when I said 2500rpm. I was just riding the machine. It right around 1600-1900 rpms.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I was dreaming when I said 2500rpm. I was just riding the machine. It right around 1600-1900 rpms.

So that's what the problem was :lmao:

Well, it should still engage in high every time. If you're slipping then maybe you have a belt problem. Have you looked inside the belt housing?? Inspected the belt for flat spots??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check your shifter linkage. It may be worn and not fully engaging high. High and low are on separate linkages.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Dumb question.. are you 100% sure its actually in high? Sometimes our 500 shows high on speedo but is not actually in gear. A little wiggle and it pops right in. Is it only doing it on initial shift into high or random?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts