Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first ATV, 2013 Sportsman 500, and would like to buy a helmet. I've got a pretty large dome and I've been having trouble finding something comfortable. Do most people with utility ATV's wear full face MX style helmets? My local dealer had some XL helmets in stock but they all felt to tight to be comfortable. I'm not a fan of those loud designs I see on most helmets and I was hoping to find a solid matte black helmet in a larger size.

Looking online I found the HJC CX-6 Matte Black in 2XL and 3XL. Has anyone used this helmet? I thought about buying a 2XL from a company that allows returns.
HJC CL-X6 Motocross Helmet White Medium M 0862-0109-05 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Any helmet recommendations for people with large heads?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do you have any large motorcycle dealers close? Usually the sportbike dealers will have a large selection on the shelf. Try some on till you get one that you think you like. When that happens put it on and walk around the store for 20 to 30 min while wearing it. A helmet's comfort level will change after a few minutes of wearing it. Than here's the changeling part,buy it now or go home and shop online. To answer I have a fullface and 3/4 that I wear on my bike and a Polaris 3/4 that I wear on my 4wheeler. Had a good friend that crashed at Coal Creek and was lucky that he was wearing a fullface...saved his glasses but he's still ugly...lol

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I have a large head too. I have for dirt and snow a HJC clx5 and for street a Shoei RF1000. I will say that trying them on first is crucial, since they all size an fit different. Some are more egg shaped than round. It depends on your head what's comfortable.

Brand new, the helmet will be tight, but the padding will pack out and losen up. As long as it doesn't create a pressure point when it's snug, it should be good.

It was great advice above me to wear a helmet 20-30 mins in the store. That will give you a great idea what is comfortable.

Often times to get a great fit you can mid match interior pads. Most companies have 2-3 shell sizes, and than 2-3 sizes in each shell size. For instance medium large and xl might have same shell, just different thickness liners and cheek pads that you can swap out for a different size.

But if you try on in store, give them a chance to be competitive on the price compared to online. After all they did just provide the service of allowing you to try on before you buy. Websites can't do that.

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
I have one of each. Just bought the full faced this winter. If you ride in the cold, it's awesome. I have a large, egg shaped (not nice and round) head, and the HJC helmets are the only ones I have found that fit my head comfortably. I have to try them on, no way I could buy online. Like I said, both of mine are HJC, and the MX is a large and the full faced is an XL. Go figure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Look at this one :
X-lite 551/
It is my helmet now. I have a big head, belive me !

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a big head. I wear a 3x I use a MX helmet when riding a quad. I am not a face model but I like it just the way it is. I would not like to put my chin into the handlebars, I dont remember the brand but I bought it off ebay may years ago. I use a Modular HJC helmet when snowmobiling and it fits great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't care how cold it is outside, I ride regardless of temp.
I have three helmets:
- full face Gmax modular, w/ drop down sun visor and heated sheild
- Thor motorcross helmet
- Aris open face.

I found helmet pricing to be so comparable it is hardly worth shopping around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips. I'm just going to have to travel a little further to some larger dealers to try some helmets on first hand.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have been looking for a helmet too! I try on 2X's and they all seem tight! I can't find a dealer anywhere that has some 2Xor 3X's in stock for me to find one I like! Having a steel plated pumpkin for a head sucks!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts