Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone complied a list of problems or thing to check/look for that is specific to an XP? I am have read the owners manual, but I am guessing they want you to take it to the dealer for every little sniffle.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
things to check

bolts on a arms
the hose clamp on the bottom of the air box
a arm bushings
wheel bearing
tie rod ends
ball joints ( 09 & 10 had short ball joints the new ones are longer )

things that most often has to be changes

a arm bushings
tie rod ends
spark plugs
if you ride in high gear in mud or steep hills the belt
11/12/13 if you have a lift kit or big tires the front axles

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What JC said along with proper maintenance. The maintenance you can do yourself. Use the machine as it is designed and intended to be used and it will last along time. If you are an extreme user, a mudder or think it is a submarine then expect to spend a fortune in repairs unless you modify the machine first.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
things I have found over the years with 2 of my own and a lot of others on the forum
frames crack behind tranny mount
front a-arms cracking
rear a-arm bracket cracking
ball joints (09-10s)
tie rod ends
front axles (11s-14s)
oil in air box (09-11)
air box clamp
bushings
front frame braking by gas tank
plastics getting to hot from exhaust]
eps going out

this is almost everything that happens with these bikes, mine is so far built from stock any more. These are all the problems from 09 to 14s, I've had all of them happen even a motor blow up, but don't let this worry you, if you look at other brands of all there years the list will be probably almost even. I will say over the years I have seen a lot of these problems get noticed and changed and fixed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have 340 miles on mine with no issues yet, just have to keep washing the blood off from throwing bears and deer on the back

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
just read some of these with salt yes these things have happened but not to all or every one I have a 2009 and mud ride and all I have had is bushings /ball joints / tie rod ends and had oil in the air box I fixed all of them was not hard

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mines over 2 years old and has 2700 miles, I haven't had any problems that were Polaris' fault. Other than fluid changes and grease, the only thing I've had to do was replace a CV boot I put a tree branch through. Very happy with it and my next machine will be another 550xp

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 340 miles on mine with no issues yet, just have to keep washing the blood off from throwing bears and deer on the back
This was the reason I am giving the dirt bikes a rest and bought mine :veryhappy:

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Seems to me the most common gotcha is which feedback to listen to. Some people are regularly abusing their rigs which might not be your case...

If you ride normally, like most people do - farm, trails, forest, regular terrain - not very deep mud, large rocks, deep water, at high speed, you will likely have very little problems as long as you maintain your XP properly.

If you don't change your tires to larger than recommended size - 28s or 30s, that will help as well...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Subscribed...This could end up being a pretty useful thread!

·
Registered
172 Posts
XP's have very few common issues that couldn't be fixed in your garage with a little research.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would say a arm bushings and ball joints under normal riding. Cracked rear a arm mounts on mine. Polaris fixed that for free. mine gets ridden pretty hard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems to me the most common gotcha is which feedback to listen to. Some people are regularly abusing their rigs which might not be your case...

If you ride normally, like most people do - farm, trails, forest, regular terrain - not very deep mud, large rocks, deep water, at high speed, you will likely have very little problems as long as you maintain your XP properly.

If you don't change your tires to larger than recommended size - 28s or 30s, that will help as well...

I read you on that. If I feel the need to be dumb and adventurous, out comes the bikes.

I am very maintenance involved and with the amount of money invested in this rig, I have many other machines to thrash about :fest06:

Hopefully this rig lasts many years to come...

I will definitely keep an eye on what has been recommended.

Thanks again

·
Registered
213 Posts
Also may want to check underneath the plastic body where the exhaust pipe bend at to make sure there's heat shield or some kind of heat protector above that exhaust as it may melt the plastic and melt the rear corner of the seat as I just found out mine did the same. I checked around and found that there's a lot of em out there with this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1 - 14 of 14 Posts