Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what alternative transmission oil could be used in a 2002 Sportsman 400 with the one piece trans and diff. Mainly looking at the viscosity and or brand as Polaris does not divulge that info or specifications as far as I know..

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
The specified juice is Polaris Premium Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant PN 2871477 (Gallon) PN 2871478 (12 oz..) Capacity: . . . . At change: Approx. 20 oz.

You could use ATF, Harley high shock synthetic transmission oil, Bel Ray Big Twin transmission lube, (my favorite) Honda two stroke transmission oil or any JASO rated 5w20 through 20w50 multi grade engine oil approved for use in motorcycles that lube the transmission with the same oil as the engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Instead of starting a new post on this same question, what about Amsoil Synthetic Chaincase & Gear Oil? That's the recommended replacement on Amsoil's website.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there. Some say you can't use regular motor oil because it doesn't have the correct pressure additives, some say you can.

The only part number I'm finding now is 2878068 for the quart. 2871478 doesn't show up anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts