Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris dealer just wants to have me get 08 Sportsman 500 serviced there.
Found a complete fluid change kit with OEM polaris fluids online for $79.99/free ship that includes oil filter and all fluids for everything else.
Is that a good price?
I know many use other fluids, but would like to use OEM. $200+ seems like too much $$ to me for a job I should be able to do myself.
Thx!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm with you on this I like to use OEM fluids. That seems like a decent price for everything. I know others are going to push you to use aftermarket fluids, but to each there own. I know others will work but I still prefer factory fluids, same goes for my sleds and cars and trucks.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Seems like a fair deal if it's for everything in the machine that has fluid in it.

"Factory" oil is just relabeled so the factory can make money on the top of some commonly made brand, so in reality your just giving money away for no reason at all when you could buy the direct fluids from say Mobil, Valvoline, etc...whomever puts the Polaris stickers on their product. I personally haven't bothered to see the actual maker of "Polaris" labeled oil because I have my own preference, just don't think your getting anything "special", all it is, is a additional surcharge that goes back to Polaris.

Anybody that thinks Polaris has it's own refinery that makes their own exclusive oil for their products is severely delusional LOL.

Quick google check, appears Lube-Tech (makers of Mobil and Chevron as well as other oils) http://www.lube-tech.com/ is the oil producer for Polaris. I guess pre 2000 some factory overseas relabeled for them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I paid about 100$ for the oem fluid kit with both air filters and plugs for my 850. Found it on ebay then went directly to their online store and it was cheaper. Can't recall the company but think it was one of the sponsors here and they had a discount code here as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are all polaris fluids created the same? i found all fluids to do a full service of both front and rear hubs plus trans fluid for under 50 bucks but the part #s dont match.... So my question is are all AGL plus fluids the same type no matter what year machine is?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yes. Just be sure to include the MY, model & engine size when searching so you get the right agl (system changed in 04 or so to include hilliard compared to wheel hillairds on older units) and correct oil filter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like a fair deal if it's for everything in the machine that has fluid in it.

"Factory" oil is just relabeled so the factory can make money on the top of some commonly made brand, so in reality your just giving money away for no reason-I personally haven't bothered to see the actual maker of "Polaris" labeled oil because I have my own preference, just don't think your getting anything "special", all it is, is a additional surcharge that goes back to Polaris.

Anybody that thinks Polaris has it's own refinery that makes their own exclusive oil for their products is severely delusional LOL.
I agree, but everything I read states that at least use OEM front diff(?) fluid?
Yes, their oil is made by others, but like hydraulic fluid, each manufacturer often orders their own unique blend, and I have seen equipment fail due to use of wrong type of fluid. Additives, solvents, etc., can severely affect certain parts of specific machinery, again going back to design and specific formulations ordered/blended for a specific manufacturer.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts

"Factory" oil is just relabeled so the factory can make money on the top of some commonly made brand, so in reality your just giving money away for no reason-I personally haven't bothered to see the actual maker of "Polaris" labeled oil because I have my own preference, just don't think your getting anything "special", all it is, is a additional surcharge that goes back to Polaris.

I agree, but everything I read states that at least use OEM front diff(?) fluid?
Yes, their oil is made by others, but like hydraulic fluid, each manufacturer often orders their own unique blend, and I have seen equipment fail due to use of wrong type of fluid. Additives, solvents, etc., can severely affect certain parts of specific machinery, again going back to design and specific formulations ordered/blended for a specific manufacturer.
Makes a guy wonder how companies like redline, lucas, royal purple, amsoil have turned themselves into multi million dollar businesses since theyre not "oem" speced blends. Could be they have proven themselves to be better than run of the mill relabels?

Big picture i know what your getting at...but there absolutely nothing exotic or special on these polaris machines. Match up viscosities and get whatcha want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts