Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got my quad all fixed up everything was great yesterday and today. i was plowing snow for a good half hour and all of a sudden it just quit all power no lights nothing WTF!, checked fuses, wiggled plugs at kill switch, ign switch is new. im getting sick of this quad ive never had any problems with any of my other quads only the popo any ideas would be great as my quad is stuck in 2 feet of snow and the kodiak wont budge it.

BTW. its a 09 sportsman 500 efi any help or ideas welcome and appreciated

·
Registered
679 Posts
Definitely sounds like an electrical problem. I'd start at the battery and work my way forward on the harness until you find something suspect.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i know that much its deffinetly electrical, was wondering if anyone has experienced this before, if not ill go get a test light tomorrow and see where the power stops

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Bump the on/off switch when plowing?

Sean

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i didnt bump the on/off switch. theres a computer recall???? where do i go to confirm this

·
Registered
455 Posts
my guess would be the battery is dead; all the winch use while plowing , maybe the lights on too? plus all the demands of efi... that little battery combined with a poor at best charging capabilities makes impossible for the system to keep up. Especially if the battery was not perfect to begin with, don't assume because a test light lights up its ok, use a multimeter, a fully charged battery should read 12.7 volts, 12.2 volts is only 50% charged. Good luck, I hope it's nothing more serious, but I doubt it is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not the battery although . the pod will still light up even if the battery is screwed and has 3v. 10.2 is actually a fully discharged 12v battery 1.7vpc, fully charged is 12.6, 2.1 vpc

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry about that i misread your statement i thought you said 10.2, yes you are correct, since i got this agm battery my low batt light has never come on useing the winch or stuck winching out, it has really suprised me

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok i was out there with a test light and i have no power at the wed/wht wire on the kill switch plug. looking at the schematic every red/wht wire should have power all the time as there right from the fuse block and into 3 red/wht wire splices i also have power at the fuse block from battery anyone run into an issue like this b4, mabye a insight on a common place for wires to break?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok new update ive got power at the ecu relay witch is a red/wht wire off the same splice, #3 and not at the red/wht wire 6 inches from the splice up to kill switch, tried running a jumper wire from fuse to kill switch, still nothing, this has got me stumped, anyone know witch wires id have to splice to bypass kill switch?

EDIT checked red/wht to ign switch and no power so although the schematics say the red wht to ecu relay are off the same splice apperently they are not it seams ive got a wire broken from another splice to this splice

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another update i ran a jumper to splice#1 where i thought my problem was and got my pod and handlebar stuff to all work but it wouldnt start......looked closer splice #1 is powered from splice number three then after, 1 goes on to power number 2. i htought i had a sure thing and cut the power to number 1 witch probably has nothing wrong with it it is the power wire from 3 to 1 witch should have the problem does anybody kno where splice number 1 is located id rather not remove all my plastics #1 was right under the pod

·
Registered
455 Posts
try running jumper to ign switch?

just spit balling here

·
Registered
455 Posts
ohhhh, I didn't realize you meant nothing was working... I thought it was dead and wouldn't start.
sounds like your on the right track tracking down a bad splice, or possibly a broken wire, or it rubbed thru somewhere and grounded out?

·
Registered
455 Posts
btw, looking back you stated; "got my quad all fixed up", did this have anything to do with the electrical? Or plastic panels that could pinch wires?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gonna start right from battery and work my way up ive got power at ecm this wiring crap is fusterating and now its dark out, damn winter

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
it was alot of numerous things 2 wires to sensors, air leak at map sensor, wires going into kill and awd switches needed a piece of bare wire to tighten up connection, new stator/pick up coil, wiring to lights those are just off the top of my head, a few days ago i 3 seperate connections to battery because when i was in a pinch i had to put 2 new connections for the three wires off battery 2 wires in 1 and one in the other witch helped(it would run crappy when running winch with all my lights on) ive had wiring issue after wiring issue its 530pm now and pitch black out but tomorrow ill get to the bottom of all this im betting its a main power wire causeing not enough power through somewhere witch is causeing all my previous problems every connection had to be perfect or problems would start im thinking its off the ign or one of those wires restricting power. ill have an update tomorrow morning hopefully with good news, this is my favorite quad out of the 5 im owned in the last 5 years nothing has really broke without driver abuse except the wiring issues

UPDATE: main fuse also needed bare wire around it for quite some time to make it run right because of loose connection thinking it could be the wire to ign from that since after looking at schematic power goes to ign from batt then to red/wht splice my guess is that yellow wire was barely hanging on and finally let loose

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts