Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad to compress the suspension half way down while you trailer your quad around? I put me a chain on my trailer but I want to find out how short to make it before I cut it. I stole someones idea off here to hook a chain on the front then strap the rear down.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Why half way down ? Seems rather tight. Also, how long will it be so compressed and how often ?

Myself, I don't like to compress mine down. I hook on to the lower frame. This doesn't compress the suspension as much.... but I have sport quads and it doesn't take too much to hold them and my trailer is enclosed so I just put a cam tie down on each end and go.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nope, i ratchet strap mine down probably quater of the way so it doesnt bounce and have never had an issue, just dont leave them compressed though.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I just dont want to wear out the springs and bushings faster that way. Doesnt have to be 1/2 way. But I might be on the road 3-4 hrs to go ride some times. I just want an idea before I cut my chain to length.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can easily buy atv straps that tie down the wheels. You will need rings in the floor for the hooks, which are easy to find as well. Suspension will not be affected at all. My 850 travels like that and is very secure..

·
Registered
944 Posts
Try hooking tie downs onto the lower frame instead of up high. See how solid it is and how much/little it compresses your sus. OR hook tie downs onto the a-arms below the shocks then there will be no compression. They don't have to pull straight down either. Angled back/ forward works.

If your trailer has a solid railing, then cam tie downs around are good enough. You don't need a chain or massive torque pulling down on the sus.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There are built in tie down points on the XP. Loop in the front, and hooks next to hitch, that are factory designed to tie the XP down. It's right in your manual. Ratchet them as tight as you can and run your straps more out than down if you an and it will compress the suspension less, yet still securely tie it down. If you don't compress it enough, if you hit a bump and the suspension moves your stras can fall off.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are built in tie down points on the XP. Loop in the front, and hooks next to hitch, that are factory designed to tie the XP down. It's right in your manual. Ratchet them as tight as you can and run your straps more out than down if you an and it will compress the suspension less, yet still securely tie it down. If you don't compress it enough, if you hit a bump and the suspension moves your stras can fall off.
Thats why I want it compressed some. And yes I'm using the front and rear tie points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
862 Posts
Value line has them too, that's what I use to tie down. The back I think are actually for safety chains but it works.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Just run the straps out at a 30-50 degree angle if possible instead of a 75-80 degree like many do. The flatter you strap it the less it compresses.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just run the straps out at a 30-50 degree angle if possible instead of a 75-80 degree like many do. The flatter you strap it the less it compresses.
Well its not possible on the front. I'm gonna just go with 1/3 compression on front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can easily buy atv straps that tie down the wheels. You will need rings in the floor for the hooks, which are easy to find as well. Suspension will not be affected at all. My 850 travels like that and is very secure..
Used this method to transport the SIL and mine to Canada and back, plus 5 yrs of hunting in Georgia. Works great. Just had 1 front and opposite rear tire strapped down on each ride.

Had a few straps that came unhooked from bumps. Than some that just broke when we used to just strap them down to the trailer from four points.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
orientation of the quad on the carrier (truck or trailer) often times determines how the straps can be oriented. If I rear load I can put straps out at pretty flat angles. because I have the room to do so. If I side load, I'm pretty much straight up and down. unless I wanted to cross strap it under the quad... which I don't.

once I get to a point where I have to load them a certain way I'll look into the wheel straps. but for now it's compress the suspension and don't leave it loaded over night.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use the winch to tie down the front end about 25-30% and I use ratchet straps in the rear looped around the frame as tight as they will go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thought you might find this interesting as well.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought one of these so I'd have a good recovery point in the back...

Put one of these carabiners on it...

And I put one of those carabiners through the eye of my strap ends (not the hook) and hooked the carabiners on the tie-down points on the bed of my truck.

When I load up, I run one strap, from the passenger side of the bed, through the carabiner on the receiver hitch, and to the ratchet that's hooked to the driver side of the bed. The quad can't go forward any more, there's a pallet strapped in place at the front of the bed to keep it from going forward into the back glass... I compress the suspension a little bit, but not very much at all. Since all my strap connections are closed-loop (meaning, I don't use the J hook on anything) I don't have to worry about anything popping off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is it bad to compress the suspension half way down while you trailer your quad around? I put me a chain on my trailer but I want to find out how short to make it before I cut it. I stole someones idea off here to hook a chain on the front then strap the rear down.
I have my trailer set up as you describe. To determine the chain length, 1st determine where you want your ATV to be located on your trailer when trailering; 2nd pull your ATV forward of that location approx. 6". 3rd cut your chain so that with the hook installed it just barely can be attached to the ATV's forward attachment point. Once installed simply pull up to that spot, attach the chain, place the ATV in reverse to take out the slack. While in neutral attach and tighten the rear ratchet straps. Place in park and set the brake...Done! This setup works well.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I use the winch to tie down the front end about 25-30% and I use ratchet straps in the rear looped around the frame as tight as they will go.
The winch is not made to be a tie down, it's made to pull...not hold

·
Registered
201 Posts
Drive four wheeler into truck bed. Ratchet strap across the front bumper and back bumper. Suck it down until I can't any more. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts