Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are for sale in my area? doeas one sound more appealing than another.

2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
has a warn winch and Polaris quick disconnect 5' plow 3 years old. Owner claims it has had no hard trail riding. 133 hrs 1245 Ode
$3800

OR

2006 Polaris Sportsman 600 249miles and 82 hrs. has a new battery and a front storage box $4900

OR

2009 Sportsman 500 w/ ITP wheels and 2" spacers (give it a wider stance)$4950 (waiting for a response on mileage)

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I do not know the specifics of comparing Miles to the Hours. If you divide the miles by the hour reading you will get an average miles per hour over the life of the machine so far. Others more knowledgeable will be able to tell you what is a good number. Just as important is maintenance.

In my opinion, trail riding is easier on the machine than plowing snow. I don't mean deep mud, and water over the bars kind of trails, but a weekend on the trails can put a couple hundred miles on easily. Plowing snow is constant gear changes, and extra weight when you pick up the plow. Both can have their affect on the machine, but most guys who ride the trails make it a point to keep their machines in good shape, cause they don't want a failure that will leave them stranded someplace in the middle of nowhere.

I have a buddy with an 05 Sportsman 500 HO. The only issue he has had is the primary Clutch is shot at 3400 miles. He rides trails, plows his driveway and uses it to work around the yard. Still has the OEM tires on it, and makes a few trips to the trails every year. It's been a dependable machine for him

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
we keep our 05 sportsman 500 ho
6200 miles on it and except for tires and 2 battery's and one torn boot (a stick got it)
it is bullet proof wow what a great ride

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Depends..... how and what are you going to be using it? Trail riding.... Plowing Snow..... other?

I'm not sure which is the best deal..... none sound fantastic, but I'm a visual person. I have to see what it looks like, whats broken/abused or how "clean" it is.

The 2006 600..... has high hours to miles ratio. Giving it an average of 3mph..... it sat and idled alot, or was used in low range alot. But has low miles none the less!! But a little pricey at $4900!!!

The 2009 with "wheel spacers"..... no thanks, not a big fan. Exspecially at 2" for sure. Spacers add strain on all suspension and wheel bearing components.

Of those choices the 2005 500 looks like the best deal to me, if it doesn't appear to be abused. However, I think it could be had for $3300-3500. This would make it a better deal, depending on how it checks out!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any idea which sportsman's came with power steering?

None in that/your price range. Only XP's and other newer bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for every ones help! I did buy the 05 500 with a new Polaris snow plow, warn winch, two helmets,tire plug kit with air pump, trickle charger and the winch has both a steel cable and a synthetic cable. $3200 I'm Happy! Jack

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks for every ones help! I did buy the 05 500 with a new Polaris snow plow, warn winch, two helmets,tire plug kit with air pump, trickle charger and the winch has both a steel cable and a synthetic cable. $3200 I'm Happy! Jack
Glad to hear you got a deal and are happy. No reason you shouldn't be.... good machine and accessories at a good price.

ENJOY!!! :fing02:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Congrats! I think you made a wise choice. I LOVE the grunt my 06 800 EFI Sportsman has, but, our early 04 400, 07 450 and 08 500 EFI will go everywhere and do everything the 800 will do, on HALF the fuel. Yeah, I can out run them but, where we ride, there are no trails straight enough or long enough to flaunt the top end of the 800. I think you will be completely happy. I still LOVE the early 04 400 every time I throw a leg over it. It is nimble, easy to steer (especially over the 800) and will run out to 55mph with no problems. It was a plowing machine when I got it with just under 700 miles and just under 200 hours about 3 years ago, for $2500. Haven't been sorry for not even one day.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts