Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a 2011 Sportsman 500 HO and always seem to have a dead battery. I did a test with a multimeter (not a mechanic by any means) and I set the meter to read @ 10amps (I think) took off one terminal and put it in between and its showing 1.

Does this mean theres something draining the battery ? I thought so then proceeded to remove the 4 fuses 1 by 1 and nothing changed. I also ruled out the winch because I didn't hook that pre-wired cable back up.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

JP

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do u plow with the quad?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't plow with the machine.

Since I bought a new battery (thinking I killed the factory one) I have always kept it on a tender. But if I forget or leave it for a few days its dead.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do u have any accessorie lights i know my battery went dead a couple times and i disconnected the lights and it seemed to be fine. Seemed like when my daughter sat on the machine she would play with everything and hit the switch. Atleast thats what i think it was anyway. I have recently reconnected them and everything seems to be ok.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sorry i have (wanna be) piaa lights on the front lol.

·
11,302 Posts
Do u have any accessorie lights i know my battery went dead a couple times and i disconnected the lights and it seemed to be fine. Seemed like when my daughter sat on the machine she would play with everything and hit the switch. Atleast thats what i think it was anyway. I have recently reconnected them and everything seems to be ok.

LOL...when all else fails...blame it on the kid!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know eh. Thats what there there for. Lol

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would suggest you test the battery for voltage and it should read between 12.5 and 14.0 volts (somewhere in there) after you trickle charge it (no more than 2 amps, 1 amp is better).

If it takes a charge then take it to the local Autozone or parts store and let them test it (cracking amps, bad cells, etc..) as a starting point. If the battery tests bad then you have a bad battery that won't hold a charge no matter if there is a draw on it or not.

If the battery is good then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and then use a digitial amp meter (red to postive, black to ground on ATV (not battery) to see if something is drawing amps. If you get a amp draw then pull all of your fuses and check each fuse location for current draw to find which electrical system is using voltage.

Once you narrow it down then you can draw a better conclusion to the problem. It could be a loose wire, bad key switch, or other bad switch that isn't disconnecting completely when its switched off but doesn't have enough current to create a visual indicator such as your lights being on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts