Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a video on YouTube that talked about the contacts inside the throttle assembly are not supposed to touch. If they do, supposedly the machine will cut off. I am having problems with the ATV cutting off, and my contacts are touching. No matter how much I adjust the cable the contacts touch. And if I let it out enough the thumb throttle feels really sloppy. I have problems if I'm going fast and let off the throttle going downhill it will cut off. I can't really believe my problem is with these contacts though. If I'm driving up the road or across the yard and let off the throttle it doesn't shut down. But if these contacts are not supposed to touch then it should cut off every time when there's no throttle, correct? And I put something in between them so they won't touch and I still have the shut off problem.

Are these the contacts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
From the service manual:

Throttle Release Switch (TRS)
The Throttle Release Switch (TRS) switch is designed to close during throttle movement in the event the throttle cable sticks or breaks.

When the throttle lever is at idle position, the TRS switch contacts should be closed (touching). When the throttle lever is moved the contacts will open and allow normal operation. If the contacts remain closed or become closed during throttle movement, the ECM will limit engine RPM.

Does not kill the engine - only limits RPM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts