Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone here uses conventional motor oil? I use 5W-30 conventional oil buy Oriellys. It has the same ingredients as the name brands but at a substantial reduced cost.My 2013 Sportsman 400 seems to be happy with this brew.I keep hearing about full synthetics, Synthetic blends. Anyway I do use a Wix filter.Anyway, I just thought that I would ask, Thanks Ken

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have always use standard oil in any of my bikes with no problems. I only use synthetic in my dirtbike cause of the higher rpm it runs at. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You can run what you wish but synthetic is the better choice in your application. Mobil 1 synthetic is only about $5 a quart in the 5 quart bottles at Walmart.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Only thing i would worry about is using 30 weight oil in something calling for a 50 weight. 5-50 shears down to about a mid to high 30 weight, a good 5-30 will shear to a 20wt or worse and These motors dont have very good oil pressure to begin with. Might be fine, long term will tell.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Synth is tougher

basically due to its molecular structure, synth can withstand shear forces, higher temps, lubes a bit better and cools a bit better, hence it can last longer in an engine before shearing finally takes it toll, all oil dies - it can still lube but can no longer suspend dirt, carbon, sludge. That is why oil can be recycled, to cleanse then add back what shearing takes out. So no matter what you use, don't pour it down ant holes, recycle it,,,

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Polaris "Recommends" a "Quality Synthetic" in the range of 5W50...... But many use a 0W40, as Polaris has "changed thier minds" a few times since 2000.

Run what you would like, but I don't trust anything to store brand favors..... as they can easily change with the cheapest bid!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polaris "Recommends" a "Quality Synthetic" in the range of 5W50...... But many use a 0W40, as Polaris has "changed thier minds" a few times since 2000.

Run what you would like, but I don't trust anything to store brand favors..... as they can easily change with the cheapest bid!
Yes this is true however, what is to say that the name brands do not use oil ingredients for lesser companies? Mobil 1 was recently struck down for not being a 100% full synthetic.The only true 100% was Amsoil.I believe that I read this in this forum.Ken

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can run what you wish but synthetic is the better choice in your application. Mobil 1 synthetic is only about $5 a quart in the 5 quart bottles at Walmart.
This is what I get. Considering a 500 takes less than 2 quarts per change it doesn't make sense, at least to me, to save $5 by using conventional oil. Pick up a Purolator oil filter at Walmart for $3.30 and you can change the oil on your machine for like $12-15.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Yes this is true however, what is to say that the name brands do not use oil ingredients for lesser companies? Mobil 1 was recently struck down for not being a 100% full synthetic.The only true 100% was Amsoil.I believe that I read this in this forum.Ken
This is an unknown.... but it is less fare less likely for a brand name to change the blend to a completely different brand/flavor/blend from year to year, as these "low bid" re-labled "store brands" do. A brand name may on occation change the formulation, but never the entire blend. But I'm no oil whiz.... nor do I even play one on TV. :D

This is what I get. Considering a 500 takes less than 2 quarts per change it doesn't make sense, at least to me, to save $5 by using conventional oil. Pick up a Purolator oil filter at Walmart for $3.30 and you can change the oil on your machine for like $12-15.
This is very true...... when changing the oil every 50 hours, on average this is only 1-3 times per year. Is a total yearly cost savings of $5-15 (or even $20) really worth running a standard convensional oil, when Polaris themselves recommends a synthitic is ran in these machines??? :dunno: If it is, make one less trip to McChoke&Puke at lunch time that month and you got it covered!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Your oil choice should be in part dictated by how you use the ATV. If you just use it around the farm or easy trail riding and your ambient temperature ranges from the 40s through the low 80s, then non-synthetic is probably fine. I'd still go with the 5w-40 though. However, if you like to run the crap out of it, blasting throug mud or making high speed runs, or the weather's really cold or above 90 degrees, then synthetic is probably the way to go. For the few dollars more, that's what I use. In fact I recently started using Rotella T6 synthetic. Right now the gallon of 5w-40 is about $21.95. Pretty hard to beat. Only about $1.50 more per quart than a name brand conventional oil. Cheap peace of mind.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to set the record straight, I never run my bike hard, avoid mud like the plague, but do let it stretch it's legs from time to time.I ride on the average 20-25MPH.I am able to see more of my surroundings this way. My machine just turned 50 hours and has 3 tanks of gas and around 250 miles.It has all the power that I require and it is reliable. Only thing I plan to change is the stock tires.Thanks for the correspondence, Ken

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Why risk using conventional oil? The cost difference is so small.
Why? Because all the money saved today.... can be used to rebuild the engine tomorrow! Dah! :D

·
Registered
862 Posts
How many oil changes are you doing lol. Might save few bucks each time but not too much. Just picked up some Rotella t6 for $16 for 5qts.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Why risk using conventional oil? The cost difference is so small.
Why? Because all the money saved today.... can be used to rebuild the engine tomorrow! Dah! :D
How many oil changes are you doing lol. Might save few bucks each time but not too much. Just picked up some Rotella t6 for $16 for 5qts.
:rofl: No, I was being sarcastic..... I don't know why anyone would want to risk saving $5 today on a possible $1000 +/- (?) engine rebuild tomorrow! :D

Good advise with the synthetic Shell Rotella T6!

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is a $5 rebate on rotella, walmart has i for $21 so it comes to about $16.
I see lots of people using rotella t6. On Any of the quarts I see around here say "heavy duty diesel oil" on it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
862 Posts
It is formulated as a diesel oil, but It will work in a gas engine. They are built for high temp, pressure and long distances between changes. The additive package is pretty good for the engines in these things because of the way the valve train and operating conditions are.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I personally will be taking care of 4 Polaris from now on. I am cheap too!! I want the best protection while getting the most for my hard earned cash. We try to not be too abusive on our machines, but, dusty hot conditions in July, some water crossings and some mud, along with a few high speed romps, makes me want to have good oil in my corner to avoid mishaps. I was just following up a lead on Amazon about their Penzoil Ultra 5w40,European blend being on sale, 6 quarts for $40.06, then shipping. Hard decisions Thanks guys for the insight.!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts