Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 sportsman 500ho fuel injection with electrical issues (think it needs a pdm. Anyway I would like to convert it over to a carburetor but I'm getting conflicting information on what all needs to be changed.
Has anyone else ever done this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've told I need to change the stator and everything else electronic including oil and temp sensors.
I was hoping a wiring harness, carb, fuel pickup, and cdi box would be all it would take.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
I don't know about why the stator and CDI would need to be changed, but the fuel pump and carb holder and possibly the ducting between the carb and air box would need to be changed/modified. Without a tps, the advance curve would be off slightly, but the stator and CDi will still produce spark and spark at the right time. Things like the TBAP can be disconnected without affecting the CDI as ther simply not be a fuel injector to control. I did it on a Chinese scooter, but it had vacuum fuel pump and the only control connected to the CDI was a TPS - it didn't miss the TPS at all.

I'll look into the electronics thoroughly tomorrow and try to give you the low down on the procedure, but it's not cheap, is time consuming and would probably be cheaper just to fix the problem you are having with the vehicle.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
After investigating the prospect of converting from to EFI to carb of the 2006 Sportsman 500; it is not practical to do.

The frames are different between the EFI and carb models; different fuel tanks, different fenders and much more - they are completely different designs.

I'm sure it can be done, but it would be cheaper to trade what you have for a carburetor model or fix the one you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it doable then. Lol.
Thank you very much for taking the time to look into this for me. Very much appreciated.
So I need to find a complete carbureted parts machine.
I've had this unit in storage for almost 10 years trying to decide what to do with it. Under One thousand miles on this machine.
I was told another option was to convert it to a 08 fuel injection system that is a better design.
I'm old and really dislike fuel injection.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I am old too, but I love the fuel injection.....I don't like the computer controls and the fact that it can give you an issue that you can't fix yourself. We have had a fuel injected 500 for 6 years. Haven't had to do a thing with it except regular maintenance. They are very reliable and easy to maintain. No screwing around with a choke or "trick" to get it started. Just turn the key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK my problem is that I know nothing about fuel injection, I can tune your carb to run perfectly all the time in any temperature. Carbs are so simple to me, fuel injection is not.
I have read many forms and watched videos of people having the same issues as I'm having. Even people who have replaced their pdm more than once at over $500 each. In my situation a bad starter fried the electronics in mine. It's obviously a bad design. I'm sure there are thousands out there that haven't had problems that we never hear about also.
My main issue here is Dealer's that are only after your money and have zero interest in helping you save a dollar. I will just have to wait to find a carb model parts machine.

·
12,680 Posts
I could be wrong but I think you can probably fix what you have WAY cheaper and easier than trying to make the conversion.
What is the machine doing or not doing and what have you checked or tested?
If you got a short circuit you may have simply burnt the fusible link and it'd be a fairly simple fix.
If you know the controller module is bad Module Masters will repair it for a little over $100.
Question is, what have you checked to determine if it may be bad or not?

Of course, if its been sitting 10 years it'll also need the fuel system cleaned out and all the fluids changed etc. etc. and check for mouse nests in the air box and exhaust and chewed wires... but all that will need done anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did take it to a dealer to have it diagnosed, it has power to both sided of the fusible link. They wanted to replace the pdm, non refundable part if it doesn't fix the problem.
What happened was the starter quit and I tapped on it while turning it over, it started to turn over and everything went dead.
I did contact module masters just last week they charge $266 with shipping one way (I'm in Canada).
There's a couple pictures of people repairing their own pcm's and they all show obvious burnt circuits. I took mine apart and inspected it, and it looks perfect, nothing burnt. So I'm not convinced that this is the problem. I was going to send it to them to test it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know how, but it seams to have fixed it's self over night.
I decided to re-check the connections with a test light today all the same results as every other time, except after I turned the key and everything powered up. I didn't try turning it over because it needs a starter and it hasn't ran in years so it needs to be serviced and old fuel cleaned out first. But it seems to be working again. Strange.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,082 Posts
Polaris is known to have the ignition switch fail regularly....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Back when I bought my Sportsman 800 spankin' new in '05, I wasn't crazy about the FI at all - I prefer carburetors, too. My street motorcycle is a restored and modified '74 Yamaha RD 350 2-stroke twin, with dual carbs and dual points. Anyway ... I owned that Sportsman for 14 years, 1100+ miles, and 255 hours, the last 5 years being used as a tractor basically, plowing snow, skidding logs, jockeying trailers, etc.. Never had one issue regarding the FI. It was actually a bit on the rich side, which I liked. Always had plenty of power. But when things DO go wrong, it's always pricey. I get that.

All that said, FI isn't overly complicated once you learn the systems. Alot of modern automotive drivability troubleshooting will cross right over to these. As long as you know what you should be seeing at the various sensors, and the computer, you don't even need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot them (although it speeds the process up quite a bit). Check out ScannerDanner on YouTube - Paul Danner is the master when it comes to modern automotive electronics. All his lessons on 1, 2, and 3 wire sensors will carry over to the off-road world.

Years back I took a '00 GMC Jimmy 4.3 V6, stripped off all the electronics, and installed it in a '89 S10 Blazer with an Edelbrock carb and intake, and a HEI distributor. The old 700R4 tranny bolted right up, and shifted perfect with a Lokar adapter on the carb for the TV cable. I ran the FI fuel pump into a Holley pressure regulator. One thing I learned with this project is, it's always cheaper to keep them how they came from the factory ... BUT, it's nice having something SUPER reliable, fun to drive, and easy to fix (screwdrivers, crescent wrench, and pliers will fix anything on that truck now) .. not to mention CHEAP to fix. Can't really put a price on that. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This machine is sold and gone. And I am buying a carb model, already made the deal. No more fuel injection for me. Had I listened to the 3 Polaris mechanics that checked this machine I would have thrown over a thousand dollars away and it still wouldn't have been fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After investigating the prospect of converting from to EFI to carb of the 2006 Sportsman 500; it is not practical to do.

The frames are different between the EFI and carb models; different fuel tanks, different fenders and much more - they are completely different designs.

I'm sure it can be done, but it would be cheaper to trade what you have for a carburetor model or fix the one you have.
Wtf ?? Fenders...really?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts