Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep seeing all these adds and forums asking about products like Lucas Super Coolant, Redline Watter Wetter, and RP Purple Ice.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on this? Should I just keep doing the ol Prestone 50/50 or look towards the Engine Ice coolant?

Im not having overheating issues just looking for something to help even if its not noticable to me.

Matt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
Used water wetter in my late model race car and it worked well.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Never did understand using an additve to help the cooling,What?..How?
As long as the radiator is clean inside and out and the fan is up to snuff, I see no reason.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Never did understand using an additve to help the cooling,What?..How?
As long as the radiator is clean inside and out and the fan is up to snuff, I see no reason.
Agreed! Aside from anti cavitation additives that diesels require, see no need for additives.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the same just was making sure. I did make up 2 qt jars one with 50/50 prestone green and one with 50/50 Prestone with 1/2 cup water wetter and the amount of bubbles and the rate they disappeared was much faster the just the Prestone alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
I use it and have read it works. I have no imperical data to prove the latter part of this statement. Lol. When I first started riding I noticed the bike was hot in general and after a few rides I got the HOT flashing light. Hadn't caught on to the fact that the radiator was caking. So long story short I bought water wetter and have used it since. The idea behind these products is to remove the surface tension of the water/antifreeze mixture. Essentially eliminating the air pockets (water bubbles) between the inside radiator surface and the liquid coolant. The air pockets act like an insulator and therefore increase the temperature of ur atvs engine. I believe it helps when I'm on longer tougher rides, it takes a couple of mud holes or some muddy trails and my rad gets cacked. So it's an added bit of insurance.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My buddies Kaw 750 overheated like a hooker in church. Used blue ice and it didn't help, went with an aftermarket radiator and still had issues. Keeping the radiator clean on the trails is your best defense. The Polaris tilt on my 850 really must help as my ATV was one of the few that kept her cool. Buddy made a pressure washer out of a 12v bilge pump and would clean their radiators periodically and that helped a bunch...we were riding lots of mud, water and clay dust so it was like cement in the cooling fins. Sitting in the creeks fender deep would also clean the radiator out nice. The tilt on my radiator seemed to keep the fins cleaner.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Just put 50/50 in there and you will be fine. I have temp gauges on both my 550XP and my 500X2 and none of the snake oils lowered the temps even 1 degree. I tried watter wetter,Purple Ice, and a couple of others to see if they would work. All I did was waste money and went right back to the green stuff premixed at 50/50 from Wal Mart. Keeping the rad clean is better protection than the snake oils.

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Just put 50/50 in there and you will be fine. I have temp gauges on both my 550XP and my 500X2 and none of the snake oils lowered the temps even 1 degree. I tried watter wetter,Purple Ice, and a couple of others to see if they would work. All I did was waste money and went right back to the green stuff premixed at 50/50 from Wal Mart. Keeping the rad clean is better protection than the snake oils.

Ronnie

Just as I suspected. Thanks Ronnie!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Ronnie
Good info, thanks!!

·
Registered
422 Posts

Ronnie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most "coolant additives" merely just raise the boiling point of the coolant. I've used Evan waterless coolant in my KTM for Enduro racing because of boil over and it did help but engine never ran cooler either. I think most people think if she ain't boiling over, she must be runnin cooler, which is not the case.

I agree, Ronnie, keeping the rad clean and fresh coolant is your best defense.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Water wetter is supposed to reduce the surface tension of water allowing it to have easier contact with the metal surfaces.

RedLines' literature says it will only have a small impact on normal 60:40 and 50:50 coolant mix. It has additional corrosion inhibitors but the green stuff has a pretty reasonable mix to begin with.

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
There is definitely no better way to keep ur cooling system at its most efficient state then to keep the rad clear n clean. But for the cost of a bottle of coolant additive I'm running it. And the reasoning for running it is when I get out on a tougher ride and the bike is being put through its paces, I feel more confident running it.

Like Hatzie pointed out these additives work best in water only mixtures and have less of an effect in 50:50 or 60:40 mixtures.

As for snake oil u can't argue the science behind these products. And a temp gauge on a quad isn't enough to dispute the coolant additive manufactures claims. The variables on a quads temp gauge and readings are numerous and random. U can't get confused with the claims of the manufacture. a certain decrease in temp with the additive vs. without is done under identical circumstances in a controlled environment. These tests yield the best case scenario. I have come to the conclusion that what these products primarily do is slow the rate of temperature increase and hold that temp lower then what would be achieved with no additive. This is not to say the bike won't over heat just that it will take longer to do so. That's good enough for me because like the the saying goes u don't have to be faster then the bear just faster then the slowest guy running from the bear, if my riding buddies bike gets hot before mine then mine will never over heat.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I would not waste a dime on a snake oil coolant additive. Buy a coolant test kit and test it. That will tell you what you may need, some some Saturday morning TV show sponsor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts