Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time posting here but i have used the forum for many problems that i have had before.
I picked up a 1994 400L 4x4 With the knowledge that It wasn't running, was told the carb needed to be cleaned rebuilt and the coolant bled. But of course nothing is ever as easy as it sounds.
I was adding coolant to the rad as i began to bleed it and as i was doing that the coolant began coming out of the exhaust It was then that i realised that there was a severe leak. I removed the head bolts(were only hand tight at best) to find that the head gasket was missing a roughly .5" section on the inner ring. So in a nutshell coolant was flowing into the cylinder and then leaking back out.
My main question is do i need to worry about the cylinder after that? Should i check anything else before i reassemble the jug and head? just dont want to put it back together then have to tear it down again.
thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Make sure there is no coolant in bottom end, inspect rod bearing for slack while you have cylinder off look at cylinder for scarring, I would take cylinder to a machine shop and have it measured to see if it needed bored and new piston and rings so I didn't have to do this again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What should I do if there is coolant in the bottom end? Drain it im assuming? Then what should I refill it with? Also do you know what the torque specs are for head and jug?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Drain plug in front.5W-30 or 10W-30 About 6 ounces
Fill hole in rear, this is for the counterbalancer,knurled knob with slot on top.
Head bolts:18-20 ft-lbs.
Base bolts:25-29 ft.lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, pulled the jug and checked the counterbalance oil. There didnt seem to be any contamination and the crank had almost no play. Unfortunately the piston had a 2" crack in it so looks like its time for a new piston and rings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts