Polaris ATV Forum banner

Coolant problem

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  sporty061200r 
#1 ·
Hey guys
Just bought a used 2008 Polaris sportsman 800 efi touring.
Brought it out to the trails today. Rode for about 15 minutes and noticed a bunch of steam coming from it. Fan was on and display flashing hot.
I have a few ideas but wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction.
1.thermostat stuck? Coolant was hot at radiator cap so must be flowing right? Also seen a stream coming from the little hole when I re filled.
2. Blown head gasket? I don't think it is this as there are no bubbles and no power loss at all.
3. Air in the system? This is what I'm leaning towards.
Please help

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Wrong type of coolant? Should be a low or no silicate coolant mixed 50/50 with deionized distilled water.

I would lean toward a blown head gasket - I had a 500 that blew the head gasket, ran fine, fan quit coming on and then melted the inlet on the plastic radiator tank

#3 ·
I'm going to drain the coolant and put top grade in it. I have 2 Polaris bikes. A 2004 sportsman 600 and a 2008 Polaris 800.
The same thing happened to both on the same day writhing minute of each other.
I can see them both having blown head gasket when I had them out the week prior with no issues.
It was a colder day at -12c so I'm leaning towards old coolant that froze in the line. Or air in the system. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
I learned something new today - previously water wetter was simply an additive for coolant and popularly marketed by RedLine Products - I checked the RedLine website and I see they now sell an out of the bottle coolant - good deal and thanks for the info

#9 ·
You'll have a hard time convincing me there's anything special about Polaris coolant - other than it's expensive. I've always used a quality brand in my ATVs that's compatible with aluminum engines. Like the Prestone for all engines. I've never had a problem. Also, pre-mixed is a rip off. You're paying for water. Essentially half the coolant for 3/4 the price. Not a good deal.
Your engine should run perfectly cool with nothing but water in it. "Coolant" only raises the boiling point (which can be important when it gets really hot) and lowers the freezing point. It also inhibits corrosion which is important. If you're overheating something else is wrong. First make sure your radiator is completely clean. It's amazing how much mud gets hidden in those things. Look for a coolant leak somewhere. Make sure the radiator is full and the coolant is circulating properly.

#16 ·
Me thinks you are on to something......

Reactions: patauto124
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.