Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Polaris Xplorer 500 and there has been twice when I've been riding it and it overheated, the first time I had shifted it into reverse and the stick moved, but it didn't go into reverse, and I had tried to put it into forward or neutral but it wouldn't move, and coolant was overflowed and leaking out of the coolant tank, so I turned it off and put it away, and a year later I pulled it out again, added coolant, the electrical wasn't working, I added a new battery but that didn't help, so I kick started it and it worked fine, I rode it around for a while and I had stopped it and the coolant was full in the coolant reservoir and leaking out, so I let it cool down and rode it home, but all the coolant in the coolant reservoir was gone, but was still there in the radiator, later I had looked at it to try to find the pump or something, but there is no tube that goes from the radiator, at the bottom corner it looks like there could've been one, but it broke off or something, is there anything I can do to fix this?

·
8,733 Posts
You really need to purchase a service/repair manual so you can get an understanding of how your machine works.
The pump pushes coolant up through the engine to absorb and carry away heat. It then goes out to the radiator where if flows down through it to dissipate the heat into the atmosphere before the coolant returns to the pump to start its trip all over again.
One thing that may be confusing you is that your machine has a "U" flow radiator. Both hoses come out the top part. The coolant goes in the top on the left side and flows down that side and back up to the top on the right side where another hose returns it to the pump at the bottom right side of the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized that, I did some research and am going out to test the thermostat, and I found out that it does have hoses leading from the radiator, but a friend of mine said that they go out the bottom so I was confused, because I didn't see any

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed the problem, I found out that one of the electrical wires was corroded so I fixed it and it runs amazing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts