Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 2004 500 Sportsman ATV been trying to change the coolant and cannot find the drain plug. Went to Polaris dealer they told us where it was and trust me it it not there. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
353 Posts
On my 2011, you have to detach the hose from the radiator to drain it. No drain plug. And it was a pain to get off. I hope yours does have a drain plug.

Sorry, that wasn't much help was it?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
On my 2004 700 the drain plug is on the right lower corner of the radiator, toward the seat. It is cheap plastic and the "wings" easily break off making it look more life a plug than athe wing nut it is meant to look like. Have you tried looking at the parts diagrams? When I can't find something, I always check cheapcycleparts.com for parts diagrams.

·
Registered
62 Posts
According to the Polaris diagram, it should be in the front of the radiator on the right side (as you sit on it). #25 in the diagram

·
8,737 Posts
If it has a plug in the radiator it'll be a plastic one in the lower right front corner of the radiator. You have to remove a bunch of stuff to get to it. When/if you do, it will likely break off and have to be replaced.
It's much easier to just pull the lower radiator hose off the water pump just inside the right footwell. That will pretty much drain the most of the system. Pull the little line off the reservoir to drain it too. If you REALLY want to completely flush it you can stick it back on, fill with water, start it up briefly and then drain it again but its not really necessary.
To refill, the radiator and reservoir up, leave the cap off and run the machine until all the bubbles come out and you can't get any more in it. Ride it around a little going up and down some inclines, let it cool down and then top it up again to make sure you got all the air out of the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts