Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 500 Magnum and noticed othe day coolant leaked out,reservoirs was empty and rad looks low or empty.....don't see anything looking down.
While looking around I noticed there was a lot of grass and stuff jammed in between the grille and screen in front of rad. So maybe it overheated but didn't see a warning light.
So few questions.
1. what type of coolant to use, it was green. I have some DexCool orange stuff,will that do.
2. I am taking grilles out to clean up the rad to make sure it gets air. Is their something I can put on the front to stop debris from getting in there.

Also looking for front and rear bush guards if anyone knows of some for sale.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
No don't use dex=cool will make coolant look like muddy water when mixed with green, get some regular green stuff

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I use Prestone coolant. Is the junk between the mesh screen and the radiator fins?

·
11,945 Posts
50/50 coolant and you need to find where the went and if your light is working. The light should illuminate when you turn the key on before starting.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Just use the Green 50/50 premix or use 50% Green and 50% Distilled Water. Dont use Dexcool. Having a plugged radiator could cause you motor to overheat but it should start running bad before it belches out all the fluid. Sounds like you might have a leak in the system, maybe a bad water pump. If I run mine at Idle the fans will cycle about every couple of minutes but they only run for a few seconds. Haven't had the temp light come on but I think it's just a flashing led display on mine. I use to hate it on my Audi TT, whenever it was low on windshield washer fluid the dash would lite up with what looked like a volcano which scared the sh!t out of me the first time...thought it was overheating....lol....I would gently pressure wash you radiator and refill the system and ensure your fans are working and your not leaking fluid...if you are it should end up on the floor of your garage. A half bottle of stop leak might do the trick if you have a small leak and it doesn't hurt anything. The only problem with that is you don't want to be 50 miles into the mountains and rely on stop leak as your savior. However, I have had a small coolant leak (think a manifold gasket) on my Silverado for 100000 miles and the stop leak gets put in at each flush and it works great. Also switched from the Dexcool to the Green due to Dexcool turning to gel. However, I have been told Dexcool was changed and no longer has the Gel issue but I'm sticking with the green in eveything I own. I did use Pentosin in my Audi which is great (pink) antifreeze.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts