Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question but does is there a specific coolant antifreeze for an 02 sportsman 500ho? This is my first atv I don't know much about em. Bought it used so I don't have a Manuel. I was just gonna put 50/50 in it but a buddy told me to check and I can't find anything online about a specific call for it...

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been told any aluminum safe antifreeze coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water. I'm doing a flush and fill this weekend on mu 03 Sportsman and I plan to use the green stuff we all know and love so much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Exactly what he said. I did mine a few weeks ago

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
use a anti freeze with low or no silica's..they will raise havock on the water pump seals...all powersport anti freeze has NO silicates...dex cool has none either...just make sure what ever you use has no silicates...nitrates..phosphates...they will react to seals and gaskets on small engines

·
Registered
337 Posts
Doesn't heavy duty truck/fleet/construction engine coolant have those specifically added in their formulas to guard against corrosion and acidity, especially where a wet cylinder sleeve is used on diesel engines? (Nitrate)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes diesel engines use nitrate as a anti cavitation additive....

The cavitation issue in a diesel is the cause for the proper type of coolant to be used. In many times with the proper additive, called SCA (supplemental coolant additive). Traditional green ethylene glycol antifreeze required the SCA to help prevent and/or protect from cavitation. Ford/Fleetguard type uses nitrites in combination with molybdate to form a sort of corrosion layer, so I've read, which builds up on the coolant side of the cylinder liner. When the vapor bubbles form, they eat the built up corrosion layer and not the metal of the liner. The other type of SCA is the penray type, which is mostly nitrite.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So I guess the take away is to definitely not use HD diesel application coolant or use SCA in our Atvs. It is not needed and actually attacks the seals?

Thanks for clearing that for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Polaris of course has their own coolant and would be best to use, it is supposed to be "enviromentally friendly" if spilled just like their grease is supposed to be. I just changed mine and used what local polaris dealer recomended, Prestone Premix 50/50. The stock original fluid that came out was a darker Slime like green not glowing green like the prestone 50/50 was. Just be sure and fill it, run it open cap and fill while running, idle it up some and fill some more but put cap on before it gets too warm and expands and over flows all over your floor. Fill the surge tank to max, its level should drop a little as last of the bubbles come out, if your anal like me check under the main cold after a few hot/cold cycles to be sure its full but plug the vent breather port on the surge tank cap before cracking the cap or the line down to the surge tank wil just fill with air as defeat the attempt to get every last air pocket out :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I want to flush my 700, but can't get the radiator cap off. Any suggestions on how to remove. It will only turn a little. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Getting the cap off was a pain for me too, it wants to catch and hang up on the safety tabs, you just have to press down and keep fiddling with it and it wil turn the final bit to come off. check it out from the side and you will see the little plastic tabs the cap is getting hung up on, you have to get the cap centered over both tabs or it will catch on one or the other and not turn completely.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have you tried pressing down on it while turning? Have to do that to make it come off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts