Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may just be me but I cannot find a good way to tie down a cooler on my 850 either I have to undo the strap every time I open it or it slides all over the place was thinking of building a custom rear box to mount a cooler solid. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you have a welder, make something cool that integrates the lock and ride for quick removal. I might do that so I can carry a cooler behind my seat. Touring has very little rack space.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got some ideas using some ammo boxes lock and ride is a must as anal as I am about keeping it clean

·
Registered
450 Posts
A piece of flat plate steel/aluminum with holes for lock and ride system to mount to rear rack. Then you could weld or bolt (recessed head hex bolts for the bottom of the plate) pieces of angle iron (aluminum or steel) to make a "box" around the cooler. Drill a couple holes near the corners of the angle iron "box" so you can run a ratchet strap from one corner, through the handle, and to the other corner, repeat on the other end.

Cheaper and easier solution would be to coat the bottom of the cooler in a rubber spray, like vehicle undercoating, to help it "grip" and keep it from sliding around so much. You might need to put a coat of that Krylon plastic spray paint primer on first to give the rubber undercoating something to bond to. That Krylon stuff sticks to plastic pretty well.

Or if you want to go really easy and cheap, a rubber door mat under the cooler would help keep it from sliding. Those kind with the thousands of little "nubs" sticking up would probably work good.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I got anxious and made my cooler rack last night. It turned out ok. Nothing flashy but its not ugly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have my yeti locked down with a piece of flat bar on each side under the lid and a turn buckle from the bar to the rack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm offshore so can't take any pics for over a week but I just took flat bar and made a L shape. Open the lid and run the flat bar through the slots on each side with the short side of the L on top to pull down. Drill holes on bottom longer side and add turnbuckle. Won't go anywhere and looks good. Make sure you get flat bar that isn't to wide to go in slot on each side of cooler.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Mount a milk crate on the rear rack and slip it in that..... :dunno:

I haven't, cause I usually have my seat/cargo box mounted... but you could also mount a motorcycle backrest pad to it and have a backrest for yourself.

Homemade mount to rear rack extender with conduit hangers.... I use it to carry chain saw materials (bar oil, gas, ect.).... a "Lil Playmate" cooler and a single strap would hold it in nicely!!

·
Registered
815 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just bought this little cooler from atvstuff.com. It's the mini rack cooler and it comes with straps built in to it so you can open it while it's strapped down. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it will get tested out in a couple weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was a little Leary of a cooler bag just because it might leak usually I take about a 18 pack of "soda" some food and a few bottles of water I kinda need a big cooler I'm gonna go look at dealer n see what I can find

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I generally use the soft side coolers that have a hard plastic insert in them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts