Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 sportsman 500's fan will not run and the HOT light comes on as well. I've looked at a lot of postings on the forum and I'm almost positive its this Fan breaker by the battery and air box, since the last time I went out I submerged the whole rear end of the wheeler in water. I'm not by my wheeler right now, Its 300 miles away and I am going to work on it next weekend. So my question is, does that breaker have a switch on it to reset it? Or do I just buy a new one? Help?!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I believe it is supposed to be self resetting. The problem is that they, and their connections, corrode.

I don't have a 2010 manual, but looking at the 2009 manual, the power comes from the positive input side of the starter solenoid, goes through a 10 amp breaker, the fan relay (also known to corrode), the sensor, then the fan.

You could make sure you have power at the sensor (key on). If not, work your way back from there. If you do, try putting 12V directly to the fan and see if it works. If not bad fan. If you do have power at the sensor, and the fan does work, bad sensor.

Sean

·
Read Only
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks boburk. I'm going to get the breaker just because Its cheap and if it goes out later on...well I got it. Sounds like I'll do a little trouble shooting next week

·
Registered
2 Posts
Polaris Sportsman 400 fan circuit breaker

My 2010 sportsman 500's fan will not run and the HOT light comes on as well. I've looked at a lot of postings on the forum and I'm almost positive its this Fan breaker by the battery and air box, since the last time I went out I submerged the whole rear end of the wheeler in water. I'm not by my wheeler right now, Its 300 miles away and I am going to work on it next weekend. So my question is, does that breaker have a switch on it to reset it? Or do I just buy a new one? Help?!
My 2013 sportsman 400 had a fan that quit running. I read in the forum to check the circuit breaker underneath the air box. I pulled the CB out, and it tested bad. Went to auto zone, bought a 20 amp, and then tested the fan. Fan cuts on when it's supposed to, and cuts off as well. Now, I need to find a 10 amp CB from Polaris. Thanks. GB

·
Registered
512 Posts
My 2013 sportsman 400 had a fan that quit running. I read in the forum to check the circuit breaker underneath the air box. I pulled the CB out, and it tested bad. Went to auto zone, bought a 20 amp, and then tested the fan. Fan cuts on when it's supposed to, and cuts off as well. Now, I need to find a 10 amp CB from Polaris. Thanks. GB[/QUOTE]

Save yourself a lot of money -

10A 12V Circuit Breaker Auto Reset 10 Amp 12 Volt Automotive GM General Motors | eBay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Polaris Sportsman 400 fan circuit breaker

Thanks. I ended up ordering (2) at dellcity.net. They were under $3.00 each.
I hope they work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great info here. I've got a 2013 Sportsman 550 that I've taken out like 7 times. Just hit 25 hours this past weekend. On our second day out, quad started to overheat as I crawled up a rocky trail. Light came on, then it started sputtering. I pulled over, shut it off, and let it cool off then noticed the fan wasn't running. I checked everything, and even swapped the fan relay with the one for the "bumper lights", which made no difference at all. I drove up the trail and tried to go fast enough to keep air going across the radiator. It was only like 75 degrees out. It lasted quite awhile, then about an hour later I noticed the fan was running. I thought to myself, "I must have jiggled something just right." The next day we went on another ride, and it did it AGAIN. I started taking things apart again, but couldn't get the fan to turn on. We had to stick to the easier trails so I could ride fast enough to keep it cool.

After getting home from our trip, I saw this thread, and started searching EVERYWHERE for the circuit breaker. I pulled off all the front panels around the air box, and didn't see a damn thing. So, I started tracing wires. Low and behold it's RIGHT THERE next to the fuse/relay box, tied into the wire loom. I wasted so much time. I have tested everything, and it's all good. I fired up the quad and the fan kicked on at around 200 degrees (radiator fins temp), and instantly dropped 50 degrees, then the fan shut off. Everything is fine.

It's obvious to me that the issue is probably that circuit breaker, so I'll order another, but I want to know why the fan would trip the circuit breaker, and why it failed when on the trail. Could the circuit breaker be popping at the inrush current of the fan turning on? Maybe it's a bad breaker, and pops at 8A inrush? Maybe the fan is pulling 11A when it clicks on, meaning the fan is bad?

Maybe it has nothing to do with that, and it's the temperature sensor. But in that case, doesn't that mean the red overheat light on the speedo would also not work? Are there two separate sensors for this? One for the light, and the other for the fan? That sounds stupid, but I'm not familiar enough with this quad. It's brand spanking new, and I have treated it very nicely since I got it. I shouldn't have to be that familiar with it yet. Regardless, where is the temperature sensor(s)?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ordered an extra relay and circuit breaker, and just kept them in my bag for our next ride. I also sprayed dielectric grease on everything just in case. It started overheating at one point, so I shut it down, popped out the breaker and replaced with the new one. That was the ticket. Fan turned on immediately, and worked normally after that. Seems like the other one was just bad, because sometimes it would work. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. If it does, I plan to relocate the breaker, because the location they chose for it, right by the radiator, seems stupid. Maybe it got too hot?

·
Registered
40 Posts
After getting home from our trip, I saw this thread, and started searching EVERYWHERE for the circuit breaker. I pulled off all the front panels around the air box, and didn't see a damn thing. So, I started tracing wires. Low and behold it's RIGHT THERE next to the fuse/relay box, tied into the wire loom. I wasted so much time. I have tested everything, and it's all good.
I might have a similar issue, so can you post a pic of where you finally found it? :add_twinkle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts