Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i bought a sportsman 570 and i don't have it yet.... I want to know how is the correct way to break in.
thank you!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Take it easy for the first couple hours then ride it like you stole it. The idea that you cannot push a motor till after 600 miles, or that if you use synthetic oil before 1000 miles that it won't break in properly, is internet myth. Hasn't been that way for 30 years.

Better tolerences, better lubricants, better manufacturing processes, these motors don't need a ton of breakin. In fact, many studies will point out that a "hard break in" can actually do a better job of seating the rings properly and making more power...

Just use your head. Start slow for an hour, ride it moderately for a another couple hours, and then just ride it like you plan to ride it...

I have done this on many many streetbikes and never had a problem... On a streetbike I just ride it "normal" for the first 100 miles, then I change the oil and then I go do a track day or ride it as hard as I want.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
:stupid:

I took it easy for the first 12-15 hours and vary the RPM's a little..... after that I rode it as normal.

Just had a new engine put in my wife's suv and they said the same as above..... take it easy for the first few miles, and then drive it as normal. Todays engines don't need the "break-in" as the ones of yester-year. :fing02:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I plan to change the oil after about 20 hours. Is there any reason I shouldn't change it sooner, say around 5 hours the first time?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
None at at all. If you do it that soon, I would say do it again at 20-25 hrs

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Take it easy for the first couple hours then ride it like you stole it. The idea that you cannot push a motor till after 600 miles, or that if you use synthetic oil before 1000 miles that it won't break in properly, is internet myth. Hasn't been that way for 30 years.

Better tolerences, better lubricants, better manufacturing processes, these motors don't need a ton of breakin. In fact, many studies will point out that a "hard break in" can actually do a better job of seating the rings properly and making more power...

Just use your head. Start slow for an hour, ride it moderately for a another couple hours, and then just ride it like you plan to ride it...

I have done this on many many streetbikes and never had a problem... On a streetbike I just ride it "normal" for the first 100 miles, then I change the oil and then I go do a track day or ride it as hard as I want.
:stupid:

I took it easy for the first 12-15 hours and vary the RPM's a little..... after that I rode it as normal.

Just had a new engine put in my wife's suv and they said the same as above..... take it easy for the first few miles, and then drive it as normal. Todays engines don't need the "break-in" as the ones of yester-year. :fing02:
THIS
I was nice to mine with varying throttle until hour 4 or 5 then beat it like morning wood.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I took my 570 to a relatively flat 7 mi trail near the house. Took it slow the first time then let it sit for 10-15 mins to cool down and check. Then the second and third times I pushed it some more with another 10-15 minute rest for cooling and inspection again. Then I took it to a much more challenging 20 mile trail with a lot of rocks and climbs so there was a lot of low, sustained but still varied speeds/rpm's with breaks for cooling and inspections. Then to a 20 mile flat trail at pretty high speeds, and now since I am over 15 some odd hours I am driving normally. Will still change oil at 25 then again every 50. That was my break-in. I guess kind of a combination of all the previously mentioned ways...

·
Registered
63 Posts

Can you link to these studies? I would like to read them. Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was soft with mine for about an hour. Then I was in the field and let it rip to about 55mph. I haven't been over 25-30mph since then. I figured I bought it to ride and I have a 4 yr parts and labor warranty. I have 5 hrs on it now and I still kinda baby it, but I have only goosed it that one time. I figured that would help set the rings and all. It's really personal opinion to me.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Beyond break in (10-15 hours varying rpm and such as noted above) the most important thing you can do is to get into a "Each Ride Warm Up" routine. That consists of 5 minutes at idle and 3-5 minutes of driving in Low gear and slow speeds every time you ride. Not required if the engine is already warmed up. This process allows the engine, oil and attached components to warm up and then it allows the belt and associated parts to warm up prior to "hammering it".

This warm up rountine will dramatically increase the longevity and reliability of your ATV. Cold parts break and wear much easier that warm ones, especially the belt. I would also recommend a good quality 0W or 5W (40 or 50) weight oil. Your intial complete oil change should occur around 20 hours and then every 50 hours or so after that. If you really push your ATV then you should change all the other fluids every 50 hours as well. If you use ADC (Active Decent Contol, if so equipped) the majority of the time then you should change the fluid in the front gearbox every 25 hours.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One bit of advice I can give to everyone with a new engine, is attach a strong earth magnet to the pan near the drain plug. This will grab the larger pieces of metal that shear off of the cylinder walls, etc and keep your filter from clogging as fast.
I agree that running an engine after the first few hours like you plan to always ride is the best policy, BUT don't get too crazy with it. That little computer chip logs hours run, highest rpm, highest mph, etc. The manufacturer can and sometimes will use that against you if something stupid happens.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine has about an hour on it right now. I am about to head turkey hunting and my plan is to ride 10 or 20 miles every afternoon on the gravel roads varying the speeds for the first 2 or 3 afternoons and then just riding however I want to. My goal is to get 20-25 hour on it before season is over and change the fluids. I will consider it "broke in" after that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well after my first time out, I have a total of about 5 hours on it between riding it around the yard and the maiden voyage. I changed the oil afterwards, and was expecting to find some metal, but nothing. I suggest going the full 20-25 hours before changing the oil in the future. I'll be changing it again at about 25.

First ride was a great success, I drove it around about 1.5 hours around the yard before the trip. Got her on the trail and about 15-20 minutes of being nice and I couldn't resist getting on the throttle to see what she had. I drove the next 3 hours on a varying pace, anywhere between 15 mph to 50 mph. Lots of hills, turns, stopping, and playing in the mud. Overall a great break in run if you ask me. To put it into a good perspective I was like a little kid on Christmas morning.

Love my new 570!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts