Polaris ATV Forum banner

cost of orv permit in mich more than doubled

10K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  STT1164 
#1 ·
How much is other states for orv permits? Michigan is now charging $26.25 plus a $10 trail permit fee. I guess it goes for a good cause, fixing and making more trails.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Pa charges a $20 registration fee that is good for 2 years. But that does not entitle you to ride on public land. The cost for a riding permit varies but to ride on our allegheny national forest trails the cost is $35 a year.

#3 ·
so whats the cost for a cheese head to ride in Michigan?

#4 ·
How much is other states for orv permits? Michigan is now charging $26.25 plus a $10 trail permit fee. I guess it goes for a good cause, fixing and making more trails.
i call bs on the highlighted part, the money will just get dumped in to the general fund and pissed away by snyder. hunting license are going up as well this year, do not like how they are doing it one bit.

yet to get mine, im going to wait till i know for sure i will be able to do any trail riding this year.

#10 ·
i call bs on the highlighted part, the money will just get dumped in to the general fund and pissed away by snyder. hunting license are going up as well this year, do not like how they are doing it one bit.

yet to get mine, im going to wait till i know for sure i will be able to do any trail riding this year.
I agree but i am trying to keep people on the forum ripping me a new butt for not agreeing with the government.

#11 ·
I am originally from MI and I paid the 16.25 orv permit for years. Be glad you can ride all year for less than 50 and the CCC has made it possible thousands of miles to ride. The CCC never intended on those miles of trails being for ATV's either and it was the DNR and other pressure that turned 30" single track into 50" trail. I have lived here in GA the past 10 years and to go anywhere good it is a private party run riding park and it costs at least $25/day per machine. The very few the public land locations has it little baby trail loops of 3 to 10 miles that is hardly worth the time. Seriously it is a really good deal for what you have access to. I won't argue about where the extra funds go though because that is not the point I am making, one can only hope it goes back to the CCC and the clubs to maintain the trails.

#12 ·
I agree. Paying $26/36 to ride trails all over a big state like Mich is a deal. Come to IL where there are no trails(legal) trails to ride. I have to trailer my Popo any where I want to go with it. There's an ATV park 25mis from my house, but that kind of riding does appeal to me any more after going to Wisc and being able to ride from motel parking lot and spend all day on my machine before come back to room. I'd gladly pay up to $150(or more) a year to be able to do that here in IL. I'll be trailering my 2 popos 10hrs to St Helen in June and next year 23hrs to Utah. Add in all the gas, wear and tear on my truck, and motel/house rental for 1-2wks and time to drive there $26/36 does sound like much to cry about.

#13 ·
I don't mind when fees go up because that means that the 80% of Minnesotans that don't pay income taxes or pay very, very little will actually pay the fees where there is a fee and they partake in the activity. Given I paid the equivalent of a medium/large dealer worth of ATV's in income taxes for 2013, a fee increase is just expected. Even my property taxes went up 20% this year. The bigger news if that a fee or a tax only went up 10%.

#14 ·
I was just super shocked when I saw $36.25 when I was expecting $16.25 when I bought my 570 1st of the year was what I paid. I just hope state uses the $$ to maintain and upgrade trails.not donate it to welfare recipients .

#15 ·
For $36 it doesn't bother me one bit for the year, plus you can ride year round on the groomed trails. If you ask me, you're robbing them blind even if it is only $20 more for the work they do for you. I drove up there last Sunday because there is almost nowhere to go in Wisconsin because of the in between season. Plus like dude from the flatlands said, there's nowhere to ride down there and if he could pay $36 to ride around where he lives he'd probably be ecstatic. Hopefully they don't decide to raise it another $20 next year!

#16 ·
Here In ny I pay my dmv. Registration fee 14$ I think it was. And that allows me to ride our "seasonal roads " witch I can also do in a car or truck cuz they are simply dirt roads not much fun for an atv. For any trail riding off those roads I have to belong to a club and have a pass for another 35 bucks. Witch ain't bad. The only thing that gets to me is that we have way less trail riding available then the snowmobiles do. They have roughly 10k. Miles Of snowmobile trails in ny and about 2k. Of legal atv trails and in the state forest by my place there are tons of trails for walking/ hiking. Although I have never in the last 20 years ever seen anyone walk them. The state still maintain them and will ticket you for riding them. If they catch you out there . There is my rant.. I feel better now haha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
NH is setup to stick it to the tourists and anyone else with any spare change.

$50.50 to as much as $86.00 in NH. The real cost can be double those numbers... There is a 14month tag available that goes from May 1 to July 1 of following calendar year. If you want to ride the whole summer you need to pay attention. The tags only good July 1 to July 1 of the following year so mid season you need a new tag. I wish it was $26.25.
Registration Fees | OHRV & Snowmobile Digest of Regulations | eRegulations.com

#18 ·
$25. a year in AZ, seems like the fees have mainly gone toward closing trails...

#19 ·
It is 36.25 in MI now. My complaint is the two separate stickers, license and trail. Roll it all into one. You need both everywhere except on a lake, and then how did you get to the lake?

Fees have not went up on ATVs in MI since 1996 or something. As long as the money goes back into the trail system I'm cool with it. Having paid $250 in plate tags today for 2 vehicles 15 & 8 years old pisses me off more.

#21 ·
you wanna know where I money goes to build trails not for us for the cross country skiers and walkers and bikers when we build our trails they use them and when we build there trails we are banned from them, about three years ago the snowmobilers and Atv ers started a group to build a trail along the river from Fairfax to Le suer Mn they started all the ground work with the DNR and land owners, every thing was going along fine, money was begun to be allocated for this and then it happened, the tree huggers took over once the work was done, now it is going to happen, but no ATV's and No snowmobiles, can you fu%king believe it, and they pay no useage fee's like we do, but our fee's will be building it

#23 ·
Yep, life in MN is unfair to be sure. As disgusting as our system has gotten, it's the people that demand that the money in your pocket be in their pockets then invent a new double standard every other argument. The first question more than half of society now asks of a government official at campaign time is "what are you going to give me". It pisses me off that ATV's are looked down on while snowmobiles are tolerated at most. It would be so much simpler to just be a lefty, get on the dole, and vote for more free stuff.

#27 ·
I have no problem with the trail systems in MI, so I could care less about the increase. Plenty of places to ride, as of just a few years ago most northern counties allow ATVs on the side of the road, I've seen trail maintenance crews doing their job, no interference from authorities while out, you can make a RZR street legal.

Every state is different, but I think we have it pretty good here.

#30 ·
I believe in Nh if you are from an other state and that if you are legally register in your state you are alright to ride here if your state reciprocates the same rules for us .Maine and Mass. Do not so they have to pay the inflated registration charges

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.