Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy a plow for my 550 and a recent thread got me to thinking. I plow a .8 mile long drive and I was wondering if I would be better suited with a county plow as the majority of my plowing will be moving snow to the side.
With that said, I dont want to limit myself. anyone with a county plow wish they had got a straight one?

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
not sure what a "county" plow is, but they make plows that are split plows, it can be a ^, V, _ , / , or \ if you're concerned about regrets get one of those and you'll have nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you have a driveway that long by all means get the county plow, they still work well moving snow in tight places, and they will be able to handle the large windrow from pushing that long of a distance. I have a straight blade and with it angled and pushing a 50 ft stretch, the windrow can rather quickly pile over the blade if we get more than 5-6" of snow. I do fine with my straight blade, but a county blade would greatly lessen the number of passes I have to make. I have since moved and have a shorter driveway, but would still like to try one. If I were you fred, I would go with the county plow.

Thor- this is a county plow, its higher on one side than the other much like a county or town plow truck, hence the name. Sorry for linking to a can am forum, it was the best pic that came up in a quick bing search

http://www.can-amforum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/SDC10227.JPG

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in southern Michigan BTW . 5-6" or more is not uncommon. I know the tapered or county plow is designed to push the snow to the side like the majority of my plowing will be. But I wonder how well it will do with straight plowing because I have a little of that. Plus I was interested in converting the straight plow to the bucket to move dirt in the summer if I needed to. All of that said I am really leaning on the tapered plow because of the long drive.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
For your use.... I'd go "County Plow". As it will "throw" the snow better "at speed" and not allow deeper snow falls to roll over the top of the plow as easily on your long stretches. It will also work as a normal straight plow would if used straight or tipped to the left side instead of the right (high side).

My brother-in-law has a county and loves it.... he also lives out of town and deals with a longer drive and more drifting.

Also known as "State Plow", "County Plow".... and some (mis-informed individuals) even call them a "Country Plow"!

From the use on county/state roads and trucks.... for us "White Winter" folks!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Use a tractor.

I don't know how wide your driveway is, but at almost a mile, using an atv would take forever. Even if the snow is only 3" deep, that would be a shitload of snow.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL. Its mostly straight and only about 10 feet wide. I did it last year with a truck and it only takes 15 minutes. I dont think a ATV with a 60" plow will take that much longer.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where I live we have a average annual snow fall of 40" Most snows are 3-4" once in while we get a 8-10" It's really not that bad. But then again, I grew up here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use the county plow on a gravel drive with no issues. Love it, my 500 does a awesome job keeping my neighbors drives clear too. I've used it to to push 2b gravel, dirt, snow, stumps, ect. it gets a fresh coat of paint every spring and looks like new.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you guys have sold me. I'm getting the county style plow. 99% of my plowing is just pushing the snow to the side. The county style plow is designed to do just that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts