Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, these may be stupid questions but after this recent snow fall I'm rethinking plowing. I piled the snow as high as I could and as wide as I could along my drive but I ran out of room. So, my question is -

what side of the tapered/ county plow should the snow be coming off, high or low side?

How fast should I be going to "throw" the snow? I was going about 5 mph because that is what the sticker says to do. How fast should I go?

PS yes, I am the guy that broke the shoes off my plow

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Show should be exiting on the taller side of the blade.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you have additional room on each side of the drive then you need to move the snow off to the side and then move again further back. Just raise the blade a few inches and make a run at it, and plow it back. This makes room for the next batch of snow. The faster you go the farther it will throw the snow. If the drive is long plow at what ever speed you are comfortable with.

I use mine to plow a paved alley next to and behind my house. I also plow several hundred feet of sidewalk. I hit speeds of 10 MPH or more. Throws the snow real nice. Of course always be aware of your surroundings and only go as fast as you can safely go.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think the manuf. of the plows tell you to go 5mph incase you catch an edge. If going too fast and catch an edge you will do a 360. For snow up to six inches I plow between 10-15mph. I also do what StarRider suggests. Push back the snow on the sides first, and you will have more room

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. I have been plowing the center first. This snow I ran out of room. I'll do the sides first next time. I've got to throw it farther! do you guys have the plow angled all of the way?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You end up having to put the excess snow somewhere! Just plowing the same spot doesn't work. I can do that for a while then I start to push the snow to a certain area I know well and then strait blade it up into a pile in the yard by raising the blade as I'm moving. Takes some time but you can build a six foot tall pile with you atv. I drive as fast as possible to move the deep snow but only if I know there no obstacles. For finish plowing I just putts along to get a good scrape. In shallow snow you can push to either side but as Faa said the blade is designed to push snow off the high side.

·
Registered
426 Posts
When you plow for the first time, you need to push the snow back far enough so you have room to pile it for the rest of the winter. You can't just stop at the edge of the driveway and leave it there.

I push the snow to two different places.

The bottom half of the driveway I just plow straight down the driveway and across the road into the ditch. You have to be careful doing this though. It's illegal in most places and dangerous if you live on a busy road. I live out in the sticks on a dirt road with no traffic so nobody cares.

The top half of the driveway (closest to the house) I plow across the driveway and out into the middle of the yard, making sure I have lots of space to pile the future snowfalls. The wife says "do you really need to plow the snow that far out in the yard?"

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm in the same boat on where to put the snow. Being a first year plowing newbie, lesson learned. I have a 300' laneway and with all the ice and snow I'm running out of room. From now on I am going to designate spots on the lawn/ditch/field as my piling zones and move the snow there. Forget the nice tidey winrows along the drive. Right now I am seriously thinking of having one of the local farmers come over with a tractor with bucket and get rid of the friggin' stuff. It's frozen stone hard, piled high, and no way to move with atv. Hurry up spring!!!!!!!!!!! But then again got to pick up all the gravel and crap, never win:(

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
thanks for the replies. I have been plowing the center first. This snow I ran out of room. I'll do the sides first next time. I've got to throw it farther! do you guys have the plow angled all of the way?
Yes keep it angled all the way right or left. I do 95% of mine to the right. Depending on the amount of snow, if over 5 inches I start on the right side and get rid of that first. I make several passes from right to left. Right first, then left onto the center, then center onto the right. Then the right side again off to the side. Saves some stress on the machine and gives me some seat time.

I will say that this last set of storms we had here, put me in the position of running out of room. Sometimes even when stacking to leave room, you can still run out of room. We got lucky and it warmed up and rained. Now all but the largest mounds are gone. All ready for the next storm now. Bring it!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts