Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a sportsman 400 with a leaky mechanical water pump seal. Started pulling plastic, couple questions for you.
1) do you have to pull the exhaust off? I believe this seal is on the right side of the motor so is this in the way?
2) do you have to pull the flywheel off. Have a friend who says its behind the flywheel, which doesnt make sense to me.. If you do, do you need a special tool for this??
3) where did you get your new parts? Could someone give me a quick list of what all i will need? I have heard i need a new oil seal also. any help would be greatly appreciated . would love a list with part numbers

thank you all in advance

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I just replaced my mechanical seal and oil seal on a 99 sportsman, as far as I know te engines are still the same. Minus a few changes. What year is it just to make sure for part numbers?
The water pump is on the front right bottom of the engine.there are two black hoses goin to the pump's cover. In order from outside going in-cover, locking nut (my clymer said to get new one), washer, impeller, sealing washer (get new one), mechanical seal, oil seal.
I just did all the seals on mine but it was while I was rebuilding the engine and the two halves of the crankcase were apart, and I had te shaft out of the mechanical and oil seal. This was the only reason I was able to get my mechanical seal out. If you can ask the dealership to borrow the tool, or just rip the seal apart as I did and then you can drill a few holes in the bottom of the seal, screw in a few small bolts and use these to pluck it out. Also drill the oil seal behind it and use small bolts to remove.
Polaris ATV Parts 2009 A09LH46AQ-AX-AZ SPORTSMAN 400 HO 4X4 ENGINE, WATER PUMP Diagram
You will need 5,8,9
And 20, 21 from this one, again pull these up on your specific machine
Polaris ATV Parts 2009 A09LH46AQ-AX-AZ SPORTSMAN 400 HO 4X4 ENGINE, CRANKCASE Diagram
As for getting parts, these ones are hard to find on ebay, I got mine from partzilla, but it will be at least a week before you would see them as they have I order from polaris first. Or just get it from the dealer and maybe they can lend the water pump seal puller (my manual mentioned this tool)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i saw that but u think it is different

I saw that write up but it was for a twin cylinder that was about 12 years newer than my single cylinder 400

·
12,387 Posts
Well, you've still never told anyone exactly what machine you're trying to work on. I'll assume its an early 2000's 400 Sportsman. Regardless, the water pump and mechanical seal is the same basic design as in the write up.
Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry.. mine is a 1995 polaris scrambler 400 two stroke 4x4.. but is this different??

Looked up the diagram and usage from the polaris site.. I think mine is different. For my 1995 scrambler 400 (4x4, two stroke) it just shows an oil seal#3084184 and water oil seal# 3084185.....no mechanical seal mentioned. I know the mechanical seals are about 50$ each and these two seals listed for mine are about 10-13$ each... am i wromg or are these the omly two seals????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts