Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've had the bike for almost 5 years, and it has served me fairly well, however there are a couple things I've noticed recently. Bike has 4000km. Mods done are a 2 inch lift, SS212 Wheels and GBC Spartacus 27 inch radial tires.

1) Clicking on my rear left side. The sound increases as speed increases. I don't hear the sound if I'm driving on snow. I assume this is probably a rear CV Joint/Axle? Is there an easy way to check to see exactly what is damaged, or do I need to order a specific part from Polaris? On that note, I assume I should also change the other side while I'm at it?

2) Almost no top end. Right to the bar, this bike runs 62mph on the speedo and won't go any higher. I believe the bike pulls about 6800RPM at this speed. Clutches and belt seem good. Could it just be this is how this bike should run with those tires/wheels/lift?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
First of all I would think that you have a bad axle that is on its way out. As to the second issue I think that might be the top end. My 500 wont do much more than that.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
if you can push your wheel in and make a popping noise I would check bushings or Wheel bearing wheel bearings will make it slowed down a lotwe just changed our Wheel bearing on 2 850 s that it took two people to push it after changing the wheel bearings one person can push it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you can push your wheel in and make a popping noise I would check bushings or Wheel bearing wheel bearings will make it slowed down a lotwe just changed our Wheel bearing on 2 850 s that it took two people to push it after changing the wheel bearings one person can push it
Thanks alot for the replies, guys.

Its interesting that you mention bushings and wheel bearings. I just had that wheel bearing and bushings done all around about 100km before it started acting up. Based on it only doing it when there is more traction than in the snow, would the wheel bearing or bushings still be a possibility?

InRBigness - My bike would easily do 75mph stock, so I'm just wondering if my speedo may be slightly off with a bigger tires, and I've lost ~10mph with the lift, wheels and heavier tires.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Did you put proper clutching in for the larger heavier tires?

If not, then there is your power/speed loss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you put proper clutching in for the larger heavier tires?

If not, then there is your power/speed loss.
I have not changed any of the clutching. I still have my old stock tires/wheels. Might put them on just to see how much different the bike drives with those on just to put my mind at ease that there may be an issue.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 850 does 75-80 mph stock.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
for the main thing is it you can push the wheel In N Out and make it go Clunk then there's something loose that holds the wheel and yes the 2 09s we have well run about 80 with 27"tires the 10 about 70 to 75 with 27s. THE main thing is if you can push the tire In and out there is something Loose there is 3 thangs lug nuts/wheel bearings or bushings thats all. Now if you are rolling the tire thin i would check wheel bearings/cv joints or lug nuts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
On my 700 and both of our 09 850's when we are on Hard pack the rear end makes a clunking sound been doing it since it was brand new

1 - 11 of 11 Posts