Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to know if anyone has replaced the Crank and Water pump seals on a Polaris 400 2 Stroke. I looked over the web and have not found any videos. I want to know if this is a big job or something fairly simple.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been doing mine over the winter, not a huge job but you will need one of these...
94 03 Polaris Crank Slit NUT Tool Socket 400 Engine Xplorer Scrambler Sportsman | eBay

i took mine apart because i had a coolant leak from the water pump weep hole but ended up changing all the bearings and seals i could get at while i was in there minus the counter-balancer bearings. i bought off the shelf bearings from a local supplier as they were cheaper than the polaris ones.
any questions let me know!

M

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks so much for the reply! I thought this tread was gone. I am going to by the entire bearing and seal kit off of ebay for $85. Is there a reason you did not to the counter balance bearing? Was it that much more work or perhaps you didn't need it? Thanks for the tip on the tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i didn't change the counter balance bearing because i didn't have the correct puller to get it out. i am now planning a bottom end rebuild in the fall so will get to it then. there are good instructions for the job in the haynes manuals but as long as you take your time and take plenty of notes and photo's it's pretty straightforward. obviously get yourself some fresh gaskets to put it back together with, i got my set from ebay

1995 2002 Polaris Xplorer 400 Gasket SET KIT 431 432 | eBay

Have fun!

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts