Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Sportsman 400. I just bought it with a bad motor. Piston skirt is busted up pretty bad so I opened the crankcase and found that a piece of the piston got stuck between the crank and the case and busted a piece off. Now this piece that broke off is the divider between the crank and what appears to be an oil passage. My question is. Is this something that might be ok to leave and let oil transfer between the two or does the crank get 2stroke oil from the oil pump. I'm guessing I will need to get it welded just want to know if anyone more knowledgeable has any input before I put more money into it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Yes,that area needs repaired,as that is for the counterbalancer and it carries its own oil .
If it can't be welded, You can look on e-bay for a side case,there's usually 2 or 3 up for sale quite often

·
Registered
665 Posts
There is a guy here in the Dallas are that specializes in the 2-stroke 400. He has all these parts and if you send him your engine he can do all the work for you.

He works out of his garage so overhead is low, and he has done a great job for me in the past. (he rebuilt my 01 400 scrambler, including new wiseco top end; stock are known to break piston skirts.)

Here is his website. PolarisATVrepair.com | Local ATV Full Service, Engine Rebuild Services, Engine Rebuild Kits, Clutch Puller, Bearing Kits and more!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7085&stc=1&d=1335915975
The triangular shaped area is the spot that is broken. The crank is on the right and the counter balancer is on the left. I'm not saying your wrong but I just don't understand how the oil goes anywhere once it gets into the cavity. It seems to me if I just plug the hole in the bottom all is well. If someone could explain it I would appreciate it. I wouldn't think they would build it with a hole that goes nowhere.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts