Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks,
changing oil on my 2011 sportsman 400

where in the sweet jeepers is the crankcase drain plug for getting that last cup of oil out?

A "highlighted" picture is worth 1000 words right now.

Thought i had it, but no way I could remove it, unless there's a trick.
The bolt I though was it is on bottom right, near front of crankcase, there is a breather tube in front of it, and the "prop" shaft running alongside...

cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 Sportsman 500 HO. To drain the crankcase, you need to locate the drain plug first. Looking at the right side of the engine, the round crankcase cover with Polaris cast into it, has a bolt in the 6 o'clock position. This is the drain plug. You access it from underneath the atv, through an elongated oval opening in the skid plate. But not just any tool will do. Due to the close quarters, you need a box wrench with 0 offset to latch on to the plug. Offset is when the wrench is on the bolt, the handle angles up, so your knuckles don't drag. You need a wrench, when looked at from the side, is flat. Open end wrenches, or Crescent wrenches will slip and round off the head of the drain plug. I use a ratcheting box wrench with 0 offset, what a tool! (the wrench, not me) As always, dispose of the old oil responsibly, and don't run with scissors. Happy trails 2u.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts