Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know how to take the pressure out of the crankcase? A lot of air is coming out of the dipstick tube. Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Turn it off?

How do you determine this, remove dipstick w/engine running? Why?

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
It's vented via the breather that goes to ur airbox.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just rebuilt the motor, was checking the oil level. I know it's vented. Any idea why there so much pressure coming out?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
:stupid: bp405 is correct. The tube that vents into the airbox from the engine does just this!

Edit, You replied while I was typing.... Engines build preasure while running. The engine is like a large vacume pump from the bottom side, that sucks and blows with with every revolution of the piston(s). Now add in the oil pump preasure and now your creating and moving more air volume. This preasure has to go somewhere and is releaved into the airbox. I wouldn't advise removing the dipstick while the engine is running.... as it may blow oil out at you like a whale blow hole! Only check the oil with the engine off.... and allow it to drain back down into the tank/crank case to reflect the propper oil level.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine actually sounds like its a purty loud hiss if hoses is off at airbox. I no cuz I forgot to reconnect once. Started up and said what the crap. Okay I forgot to hook up hose.yep. solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts