Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. 1st time poster. Recently traded for a 2004 sportsman 700 (carb). Was plowing a couple of weeks ago and a loud knock started and then the motor locked up. After pulling the motor i found out the right connecting rod was stuck. To top it off it appears as though the engine had a rebuild before. They did not do a very good job. I brought the lower engine and pistons into the shop for evaluation to find out what all I needed to replace and they said that whoever rebuilt it did not time it right and the pistons had hit the balancing shaft and broke off the flange on the bottom of each piston.

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to provide me information on where I may be able to get a good used crankshaft or a place that may have them new for less than the $700 I am seeing online. Also what do you guys recommend for an after market piston for the 2004 700's?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know how you got on mate but I'm in the process of rebuilding my 700 and had to buy everything new. Doesn't seem to be much aftermarket stuff available. Hopefully starting my rebuild soon but had a lot of trouble getting parts in Australia then some trouble with a place on ebay. Hope yours is going ok.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't cheap out when it comes to engine internals, buy brand new OEM parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts