Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding today and my 550 reached 231 degrees. I had just looked at my gauges about a half a mile before it happened then I noticed my hot light flashing and my check engine light was on. Stopped and took the front rack off and my radiator was cool. I could put my hand on it and it wasn't even hot to the touch. Started the machine up then the fluid started flowing and it was puking a few bubbles out so I added about a half a bottle of water. It had an high idle during this time so we let it idle for a couple of minutes until the water temp got below 200 degrees. Turned the engine back off and put my front rack back on and started it back up and the idle was back to where it should be. Took off and watched it climb up to 211 for just a bit then it dropped back down to about 195 and stayed there for the next couple of miles until we got back to the trailer. Let it idle on the trailer until I got it straaped down and it stayed at 195. Fan was working so I am thinking the thermostat hung up for some reason. No mud in the rad and no leaking water anywhere. Water pump was circulating water through the rad also. Any ideas or am I on the right track with the thermostat.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
What year is your bike? While you had the bike turned off could you hear the coolant in the head boiling? Need to find out where your coolant temp sensor is located at for your model, cause if its in the radiator and its saying that its hot but was cool to the touch it could very well be the temp sensor going out.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The temp sensor looks to be just below the thermostat. By looking at the pictures the elbow where the hose hooks up has the thermostat and the sensor. If the radiator is cool and no hot water getting to it doesn't that mean it is stuck closed. Does the sensor only monitor the cooland and sends it to the computer saying how hot or cold it is.
The freakin thermostat is 52 freakin bucks. The sensor about 39. I need to be in the thermostat business because I bet it isn't very big.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Depends on if that sensor is before or after the thermostat. If its before it (coolant flows past it before passing through the thermostat) then the temperature that was indicated would be correct and the thermostat was more then likely stuck closed. If the sensor is after the t-stat, then I would wager the sensor was goofing up. Cause with an indicated temp that high, the fan should have been running non-stop; so was the fan running when you saw it read 231?

Did you open the radiator after you felt it was cool? The part that you said it was puking bubbles would indicate the thermostat was closed; did the radiator quickly get very hot to the touch once it was puking the bubbles?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a dumb question but does the water go in the top then out the bottom or the other way around. If the water goes in the top then the sensor is after the thermostat.
I cannot remember if the fan was running or not when I shut it off but I do know when I shut it off another guy came over and made sure the fan was working by turning the key on and the fan came on immediaitly. We did not open the rad when it was cool. We checked everything to make sure there was no leaks or the rad was not clogged with mud. After a couple of minutes checking things over we started it up and immediatly the rad started to get hot. Once we got it down to 195 we killed the motor and took the cap off. It was down a little then when we started it was when it started puking bubbles. I put some water in and it bubbled again. We did this a couple of times and tthe bubbles went away. I probably added 6-8 ounces of water to it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Not a dumb question at all. I don't know about your model so can't really say. On my 850 it goes in through the bottom and out the top. From the other info you just posted, I'd say it was the t-stat.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I would agree with the stuck thermostat. Something was keeping the hot coolant from getting through the radiator, and as far as I know, there isn't anything else in there that could restrict it. Guess you could have sucked air into the system and it basically "vapor locked" on you. I've only seen this happen when a system was drained and then refilled though. My money is on the t-stat.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a check engine light also but not showing a code for some reason. I am going to retighten my battery cables and see if it goes away. Looks like I will need to take out a loan for the T Stat. I am also going to change rad fluid to when I do the T Stat. The fluid in it has about 4000 miles on it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sounds good, consult your owners manual and it should say in there how to access your codes to see what it has stored. I'd recommend when you get the new t-stat, put it in a pan of water with a thermometer that can read up to 212. Crank up the heat and make sure it opens when the temp reaches whatever its rated for! Would suck to get a new one that's defective, do all the work installing it just to find out its bad.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took about 5 minutes minutes to get the stat out. For once something easy to work on. Took it to the parts store and they couldn't match it up with anything. It probably is a stat for a scooter over in India or something knowing Polaris.
I checked codes again for the 10th time. I keep doing it by the repair manual and keep getting nothing. Going to see what happens when I get the new stat and fluid in. I did notice just before it got hot the engine light came on.

Ronnie

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Ronnie.... Just remember to check the coolant protection range, since you diluted it with water!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was hoping fleabay might have some but couldn't find any. Off to the dealer to get raped tomorrow.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was hoping fleabay might have some but couldn't find any. Off to the dealer to get raped tomorrow.

Ronnie
Take some KY with u to lessen the pain lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
KY was a good idea but it didn't work. Went to the dealer and it was 75 bucks. Couldn't find a match at any part store.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

Ronnie
Take some KY with u to lessen the pain lol

KY was a good idea but it didn't work. Went to the dealer and it was 75 bucks. Couldn't find a match at any part store.

Ronnie
Thats crazy!! Knowing its only a 20$ part at most

·
Registered
460 Posts
Holy Shit! That is stupid expensive.

·
Registered
815 Posts
just curious, how do you know the temp you reached? does the digital readout tell you?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just curious, how do you know the temp you reached? does the digital readout tell you?
I stuck my finger in it. Just kidding. I have a digital temp gauge installed on mine. A guy i work with is one of those electronic wizards and he installed it on mine and his.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts