Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added a 12" lightbar for a little extra light up front while plowing. For some reason I was thinking that a 12" lightbar wouldn't be big enough when actually it was too big. There was no way I was sending it back so I made it work. Below are the pics of how I did it. I think that it worked out pretty good.

This is the Light bar.

Here is the front looked like before. The original plan was to cut out the "Polaris" on the front plastic and make a mount so that the light bar would fit inside and attach to the frame. But, I didn't like the idea of having to cut it so I came up with another plan.

This plan was to basically extend a "bolt or a stud" out of the existing bolt holes and attach a 13" piece of angled aluminum to mount the light on.

I started by taking out the top 2 bolts holding the plastic on and replacing it with 2 standard thread studs (without a head).

I planned for 5/16 diameter 4 1/2" studs but could only find 6" at Lowes. I used the same sized nuts since I already knew they fit into the back of the frame. I used 10 lock nuts and 6 washers (5 lock nuts and 3 washers per side). I also needed 2 non lock nuts. I'll explain as I go along.

I removed the front plastic to make it a bit easier to work on.

In this pic, there is a lock nut on the backside of the frame. I pre-threaded the next lock nut (about an 1 1/4") onto the stud and then pushed it thru the frame and then screwed it into the lock nut on the back. This is where the 2 non-locking nuts come into play. I locked the 2 nuts together so that I could screw the stud into the back side lock nut. Once it was tight I removed the 2 non-lock nuts. The lock nut that is inside the hole that the plastic goes in will actually fit into the plastic opening on the back of the plastic piece.

Now I had a new problem of trying to tighten the 2 locking nuts against each other to sturdy up the stud since the stud was way to long to use a ratchet and socket. So I used a 13 mm deep socket along with a pair of vice grips to tighten the 2 nuts together. Worked great!

I did the same on the other side and the plastic piece was ready to go back on.

I used 2 more lock nuts and 2 small washers (1 each side) that would fit inside the hole on the front of the plastic piece. This is what holds the plastic tight against the frame. So now the front is basically the same as before but with "bolts" sticking out so that I can attach a bracket to.

The next thing is to add another lock nut backwards (the 4th lock nut) and thread it to the point of where the bracket would barely touch the plastic. Add a washer. And do the same on the other side.

Drill the holes in the aluminum bracket to go over the studs. I also rounded the edges on the bracket.

I used the 2 non-locking nuts to tighten down (not permanently) the bracket on each stud so that I could adjust the 4th locking nuts to make sure that the bracket was even on the studs. Once the bracket is where it needs to be, place the light on the bracket and measure out where the holes need to be drilled.

Once the holes are drilled for the light, replace the 2 non-locking nuts with locking nuts and washers and tighten them down.

This pic is looking down from above. The bracket is just barely touching the plastic.

Next attach the light and wire it up. I wired the relay and fuses under the handle bar/high beam cover.

Side view of how far it sticks out in the front.

Finished!

I plan on painting the aluminum bracket black. It just looks out of place all shiny!

Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone wanting to try this. It was pretty simple, just time consuming because I only wanted to do it once.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow nice thinking on how to build your own bracket like that! It looks great man! Is the light nice and bright I was looking at the same light i think on Amazon?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The light is very bright! Probably brighter than I need. Its a 60 degree flood light with over 5000 lumens, which I believe! 54 watt and draws only 2.5 amps! I got mine on ebay - 2 12" lights for $160. I figured I would get an extra for when I break this one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks sweet. Good job!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Really nice set up. Your directions with pics is a great guide line.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
where's the night time comparison shots?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before

After

Both

I think that the LED needs to be adjusted up or take a picture when its not sitting in 8" of snow. It was too cold to adjust it and then take a pic.

Reactions: Corbett1973

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm wanting to do the same thing however Im sluggish due to the wiring. I work night shift and love to cruise around at night on my off nights when I can't sleep.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
They do look Nice but are really pulling

4.5 amps (54w/12v=4.5amps; unless of course something new in the electrical world came up recently i was not aware of), but still not much draw. I went with 4" (off ebay, all metal-heavy-for $26ea) and they lite up the rear when backing up very well too. Those Chinese can make stuff good & Cheap!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts