Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals, I have an 09 850 sportsman and replaced the aftermarket primary spring and the newer one has a real slant. It leans about 1/4” to one side. I have never seen this before with a newer spring. I have experienced some odd shifting issues, hard to shift,old spring had taken a real set and the newer one fixed this,MOSTLY . I have ordered another spring from this company, but just wondering if this lean can cause any problems. Thanks for your input. Terry

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the clutch primary spring?

if a spring has a slant it will not be putting equal force over the whole surface area that it's pushing against. This can cause the item it's pushing against to not move evenly. It can also cause the spring to bind if it is enclosed or surrounds a shaft. can't say that it's your problem. just that that is the nature of coil springs.

·
8,882 Posts
I work on a lot of clutches and see a lot of things wrong but I don't think I've ever seen one with a crooked spring. Something is wrong there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have too for years on sleds from 60 hp to my last one with 325 hp. Not done much for quads however, but given it is such a short spring and it leans at least 1/4" and I am not getting full rpm, and having a hard time shifting gears I thought it might be suspect. Oredered another one from the same outfit. See how this one does. Thanks T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts