Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. So I've got a Hawkeye 300 with 2500+ miles on it and the stock tires. They are lacking in thick mud but over all I've been pleased with them. They are 24" tires which seems weird because everything I've seen says 23" was the stock size... go figure. anyway. I am having a hell of a time finding 24" tires in a 24"x10"x12" I can find 24"x8"x12" for the front, but the rears are like ghosts.

Anyway. I'm trying to decide on what to get for a tire. I honestly can't figure it out. I want a smooth ride, and I want to be able to ride all types of terrain from rocky mountain trails to mud to snow to gravel roads to tight rutted rooted trails.

I've settled on the fact that I'm probably going to have to go up in tire size to find anything worth getting. I will see what that does to the limited power of the 300, but we'll see.

What I want to know is what tires have you found that have been the best overall tire for any terrain. I know this is going to be based on limited experiance, but I'm hoping to get a good idea of where to start my searching when it comes time to actually buy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Take a look at the Interco Swamp Lite at Ronniesmailorder.com Bought a set for my little Sportsman 450 mounted on ITP steelies (Deltas I think) and delivered to the door in 3 days $425(no tax and free shipping) 6 ply tire, fairly light, lots of sizes, great in all terrain, durable too, no flats in 3 seasons of riding. I went 1" over stock and noticed no loss of power or top end.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm also looking at tires. I think I have decided on Kenda Bear claw HTR. 8 ply radial, not too heavy and at roughly 110$ for 25 x 10 x 12 you can't find a better deal.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm also looking at tires. I think I have decided on Kenda Bear claw HTR. 8 ply radial, not too heavy and at roughly 110$ for 25 x 10 x 12 you can't find a better deal.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
I would have suggested Bear Claws...ran them on my smaller Honda. They were great in anything and ran good on the road as well. You will not be disappointed :)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
There are many good tires now. The one thing I will say is to remember what you said about power... Don't choose an overly aggressive or heavy tire...

BUT I like the ride and performance of a radial over a bias tire... radials are heavier.

I would look at the weights of what ever you decide on and choose the lightest of your favorites...

CW

·
Registered
619 Posts
Going too aggressive or heavy can break axles too. A small bike that originally came with light weight 2 ply tires, will not like big heavy tires.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
When I asked, black diamonds were recommended.

Sean

·
Super Moderator
6,988 Posts
What I want to know is what tires have you found that have been the best overall tire for any terrain. I know this is going to be based on limited experiance, but I'm hoping to get a good idea of where to start my searching when it comes time to actually buy.
If you are going to a 25" then I would say there is no better tire for all terrain types than the Maxxis Bighorn. Maybe the Bighorn 2.0 for your application. When you are doing your searching, you will find that they are probably the most popular aftermarket tire for all terrain types. The mud guys will disagree, but we're talking all terrain here, not mud pits.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I really like the black diamonds. but the ATR are sold out in the size I need, but I can still get them in the XTR. From the reviews I've seen they did great all around. but I'll have to check out the weight concern. The bear claws are inexpensive. How do they ride? and how do the wear?

Edit, after doing some research it would appear that the Black diamonds are a bit on the heavy side based on the weight charts given. However, I've also found that the Kenda's come in dramatically under weight compaired to the weight charts available. so it's almost a crap shoot if you're going off the weight to determine the right tire for you.

Apparently the Bear claws "wear line iron" too, but how do they ride?

second edit, the 25/8/12 and 25/10/12 Black diamond XTRs are approximately 7 lbs more than what is currently on it, and only about 3 lbs more than the bear claws.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I really like the black diamonds. but the ATR are sold out in the size I need, but I can still get them in the XTR. and from the reviews I've seen they did great all around. but I'll have to check out the weight concern. The bear claws are inexpensive. How do they ride? and how do the wear?
I found the ride great and they wore very well. Great all around tire and for the money you really can't beat them.

When I went to a larger bike I started using mudlites because I couldn't find bear claws in the sizes i wanted. Right now I have the xtr's on my 850 and they are working great but they are heavy.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I don't remember where they fall weight wise. But I agree with Bob 100%. I LOVE my big horneys.

Wearing very well great traction everywhere and ride nice and smooth.

CW

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The cost of the big horns would turn me off. $50-$70 more per tire when compared to the black diamond XTRs and the bear claws. that adds up quick.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The cost of the big horns would turn me off. $50-$70 more per tire when compared to the black diamond XTRs and the bear claws. that adds up quick.

OUCH, I didn't realize they would be that much difference in costs...

CW

·
Super Moderator
6,988 Posts
That is quite a bit more, but they are a much better tire than the Black Diamonds. I would spend the extra if I was buying them. FYI, as a side bar, the BD's run quite a bit smaller than advertised. Good luck with your choice. Tire shopping is a b!tch...... So many choices. :hmmm:

·
Super Moderator
6,988 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts