Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil filter access hole on metal skid plate has protruding lip. Rubbing against oil pan resulted in a hole in the pan. Was able to cut and fold skid plate back and weld filler in hole. Could not see what was going on underneath other than dented plate.
Don't think the stealership would have repaired this way of for the cost of a wasted oil change.

This is on a 2011 850 with hard No Nevada miles on it. My buddies 2010 has different protection. You guys that ride in rocks and bottom out frequently may want to have a look and make sure your oil filter access is not eating away at your pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes I can see that this is a common problem had I have a 2018 Sportsman XP 1000 that has the same problem trying to see how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
I've heard of the issue pop up from time to time.

Question for you guys do you think the Iron Baltic plastic belly skids would be the way to go to prevent this issue???

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have them on my 2018 850 touring and can go anywhere.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've heard of the issue pop up from time to time.

Question for you guys do you think the Iron Baltic plastic belly skids would be the way to go to prevent this issue???
I don't think adding a plastic skid would help or anything that will give a mm because that sharp ring that on the plate is so close it doesnot take much to push it in to the engine case. I am going to cut out the thin plate with the sharp ring then replate with 1/4 or 3/8 steel is the only way I see it will make it . Because it can't give or it will be against the engine case.

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Gotcha!!! My thoughts were the plastic wouldn't deform to the point it comes and remains in contact with the case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had make something quick so this is what I did was 1/4"x 4" x 17 1/2" steel all the way across fastened with 2 pieces of 1/4"x2" angel iron with 6 - 3/8 grade 5 bolts . Now I can go riding. And it also have more ground clearance has the oil filter cover is gone.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts