Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got some new tires for my 550X2 today. Went with the cst abuzz. Was going to get another set of bighorn 2.0s but after looking at these on line, and Atvoutfitters having them in stock I figured I'd take the chance. They are a 6 ply tire, that is light weight, and they also advertise easy steering with the design and weight. So far they are right on what they advertise. They have deep treads and look pretty cool as well. They run true to size in the height, but are a little wider. I will update when I put some miles on them. This is my second atv so it may be a while. The weight of the tires are about a one pound less than bighorn 2.0's, and the price is something that I couldnt turn down. Will be running these on asphalt to the local fire wood supply, landscaping supply, swimming pool, fishing hole, and camping spots. This is my work horse atv so I show it no mercy, lol!

Also added some black LE wheels too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would be curious to hear how the drive at a higher speed any wobbles or shakes. did you have them balanced?

·
Registered
455 Posts
where/who makes them?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
CST is Chen Seng Tire comp.....they are the same company that makes maxxis tires....Big Horns are a CST tire...they have been around a long time....years ago Chengs were the tire of choice for lots of MX'ers..

as far as who sells them..just google CST tires and you will find sellers of them...Bike bandit..ATVoutfitters...dennis kirk...

·
Registered
455 Posts
CST is Chen Seng Tire comp.....they are the same company that makes maxxis tires....Big Horns are a CST tire...they have been around a long time....years ago Chengs were the tire of choice for lots of MX'ers..

as far as who sells them..just google CST tires and you will find sellers of them...Bike bandit..ATVoutfitters...dennis kirk...
oh... to bad, none for me thanks

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
98% of ATV tires are made in China....but to specs of the designing company....a few USA made tires are Carlilse..Titan..Pit Bulls...ITP...(there wheels are china made)....some of the interco tires are made here.....maybe by one of the USA tire makers....I heard awhile back that Carlisle bought ITP...

But most other big name tires are made in china or other over sea factories...Viet nam..Thailand..all big rubber regions...

·
Registered
455 Posts
98% of ATV tires are made in China....but to specs of the designing company....a few USA made tires are Carlilse..Titan..Pit Bulls...ITP...(there wheels are china made)....some of the interco tires are made here.....maybe by one of the USA tire makers....I heard awhile back that Carlisle bought ITP...

But most other big name tires are made in china or other over sea factories...Viet nam..Thailand..all big rubber regions...
So long as there is one made in the USA, I'll buy that one. Buy Made in the USA, the next job you save may be your own. just my .02

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ while i agree with buying american, Im willing to bet your WARN Winch was made in China.

interesting tire, almost looks like a modified Reaper tire

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ while i agree with buying american, Im willing to bet your WARN Winch was made in China.
Do know, maybe... that was 9 years ago. But if I needed one today, I would look for one Made in the USA.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I totally agree with buying made in XXXX country (for me its canada obviously) but at the same time I won't overpay for a product just because it is made by someone who is grossly overpaid in my country or the us. For example I would NEVER buy a "government motors" product. (Chevrolet, GM)

Its the reason bighorns are $500 and not $800.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I totally agree with buying made in XXXX country (for me its canada obviously) but at the same time I won't overpay for a product just because it is made by someone who is grossly overpaid in my country or the us. For example I would NEVER buy a "government motors" product. (Chevrolet, GM)

Its the reason bighorns are $500 and not $800.
But it's also the reason you can afford to do things, you working in Canada I'll bet are paid more and receive better benefits than someone doing a comparable job in china. Maybe GM employee's are paid more than kia employee's but, the higher pay they make boosts everyone else's pay in the long run. They make more, so they spend more, so now the maker/seller of widgets is selling more, so he's making more money, so he buys more, and so on and so on. It's how the free market and capitalism works, but once you outsource those jobs, the money train slows drastically and eventually stops all together. Countries that don't produce/manufacture don't survive, that's how the US became such an economic powerhouse, we use to make everything. Now...not so much. We need to get that back, before it's too late.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys can we please get back to the Topic of this thread please.. This is a tire review/announcement of a new tire that I have not seen or heard of before. If anyone wants to discuss buy american or whatever please start your own thread. Thanks

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rode around on the new tires today. Traction seemed to be very good (mostly everything is still saturated do to the melting snow). I had them up to 30mph on the street and they rode very smooth. No shaking or anything like that. I did not have the tires ballanced.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Glad your happy with the CSTs. That was one of the tires I considered while I was shopping for tires.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Interesting tire. Tread looks like it would be very smooth, like the bear claws but with closer spacing of the knobs. And the LE wheels look great, but I AM a little biased ;)

I tried reading the sidewall but couldn't make out what size they are. I'm guessing 26"??

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the CST Abuzz is actually a Maxxis tire...so i would imagine a quality tire....they look good...and Roosky said they perform good...thats all that counts...I bought my Kenda knowing they were not USA made..so get what you like..bottom line...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried reading the sidewall but couldn't make out what size they are. I'm guessing 26"??
Yea they are 26x9x14 fronts and 26x11x14 rears.
I really liked that these tires are very light weight compared to others. It was another option besides the BH2.0s for me. I already have BH2.0s on my 550eps so I wanted to try something different.
I do post a lot about tire weight on this forum. Reason being is that my first utility atv was a 2011 sportsman 400ho. A month after I bought it I installed a set of 26" sedona ripsaws. Needless to say it made a huge difference in performance. I know now that clutch kits can fix some of that, but didnt want to have to modify all that stuff just for a set of cool wheels and tires (not for my riding style anyways). Just my 2cents

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I really liked that these tires are very light weight compared to others. It was another option besides the BH2.0s for me. I already have BH2.0s on my 550eps so I wanted to try something different.
Thanks.

I know you don't have a ton of miles on them yet, but so far how do they compare to the BHs?? Maybe eventually you could give us a head-to-head comparison??

While I've seen some of my friends have a great experience with bighorns (high miles, little flats, good handling) I've also seen a few have a terrible experience (flats on first ride, act squirrelly at high speed). This has always steered me away from them.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
CSTs tread pattern remind me of

BearClaws. I obtained a new set on an older SP and they are great. I kinda doubted the tread pattern's usefulness but they do great in sand, packed soil, grass, small/med rocks, pretty much everything. Yeah i'm with you, price & performance rules. Competition is healthy!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I do post a lot about tire weight on this forum. Reason being is that my first utility atv was a 2011 sportsman 400ho. A month after I bought it I installed a set of 26" sedona ripsaws. Needless to say it made a huge difference in performance. I know now that clutch kits can fix some of that, but didnt want to have to modify all that stuff just for a set of cool wheels and tires (not for my riding style anyways). Just my 2cents
Went and looked up these CST Abuzz Tires today, holy affordable! i hope you like them man. i may've considered them. i guess i jumped the gun. i bought BH Originals the other day. I know that ill like them, my friend has them on his 850, but saving money is always nice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts